Friday, April 13, 2007

The touch of a baby's hand....

Bonding with babies in the NICU can be.... challenging. At least, for this momma it has been. They are so little and hooked up to so many tubes and wires and there are beeps and monitors abounding. That added to the fact that I didn't even see them at their birth or for hours afterwards and haven't held them to my breast, made it difficult for me to really feel that these babies were indeed mine and forever will be. Until today.

Today I was down visiting and Joel was there also. I was standing next to Amelia's incubator and Joel next to Sam's just a few feet away. I had my hand cupping Amelia's tiny little head and had my hand close to her face. I felt something brush my hand and I looked down to see her precious little fingers wrap around one of mine. My heart just melted and I looked over at Joel and saw that Sam was holding onto his finger too! We smiled at each other and it seemed that God was whispering,"These are your children that I have given you Jenny," and tears were soon streaming down my face. He filled my heart with love.

So, though there won't be "Gerber babies" sucking happily at my breast for a long time to come, these little ones working so hard to breath and grow and thrive are indeed little extensions of our hearts just the same. Please pray that God continues to give us wisdom on how we can best parent and love our babies while they spend time in the hospital and while they are so premature. Right now Joel is just incredible because he seems to be able to look past all of the tubes and everything and feels so comfortable handling the babies, helping with their tube feedings, etc. and I am so very thankful for that because I have felt so guilty that it hasn't been easy for me. I see one of my most important roles as mommy right now is to be breast milk provider and so I am pumping every two hours, though my milk probably won't come in for a couple of days. I hope to move beyond that, though, and feel more confident in holding and loving on them despite being surrounded my all of the medical "stuff".

I am going home tomorrow! Oh, I just can't wait to be back in our little house. It will be hard going home without Amelia and Sam and yet we are thankful to live so close to the hospital. We are about a 10 minute drive away. I know you all want to see pictures and I promise that I want to post some for you!For some reason the hospital internet won't let me attach pictures to e-mails or the blog, so that is first thing on my list when I get home.

Thanks again for your support and continued prayers. We feel so lifted up and cared for! I will try and return calls and e-mails and blog comments...but until I catch up just know that we appreciate every word. Much love and more updates soon, Jen

5 comments:

Court said...

Dear Jenny ~ tears came to my eyes as I read your blog this morning...rejoicing with you and Joel in the sweet & special time that you shared with Amelia & Sam. I can't even imagine how hard that is, but isn't it awesome to know that God's hands are holding Amelia & Sam at all times!

I know that you will be glad to be back home in your own bed, even though you aren't able to bring the little ones home yet. We continue to pray for your healing and for you both as you go through this new learning process of parenting the little ones.

You are both already wonderful mommy & daddy and those two couldn't have been blessed with sweeter, more loving parents.

Can't wait to see the pictures :)

Anonymous said...

Jenny I am so sorry that this is not the way you imagined things to be.. but soon they will be in your arms and it will be worth it all. I am continually praying for your family..can't wait to see pictures.. love anna

Anonymous said...

It was so sweet to hear how Amelia and Sam held your finger's - I know it is so hard not to bring them home, but am thankful they have great care and are doing well.
Keep up that pumping, and they will have that good ol' yummy mom's milk as soon as they are able!!
We love you and are praying for you all! (And, can't wait to see pictures!!!)

Shanna said...

Jenny--tears came to my eyes, too, as I read about Amelia and Sam holding your fingers. There is nothing more precious in the world! I can't imagine not being able to bring my babies home, but I'm glad you'll be getting good rest in your own bed. I love you lots and lots and lots and am praying for you. Keep the updates (and when you have time, pictures) coming!!!!
--Shanna

www.dearspike.com said...

Jenny:

We were at LDS Hospital for a prenatal monitoring session just the other day and peeked into the NICU. I don't know if it was one of your babies we saw under the warming lamps there, but it looked like the nurses were taking good care and I'm sure will continue to do so while you're at home.

Best wishes,
mdl