Thursday, April 19, 2007

I count it as a privilege...

Joel and I both woke up today with such thankful hearts. Thankful that the babies have done so well, thankful for the many, many specific ways God has blessed us throughout this time, thankful for the wonderful shower that his class threw us last night...thankful for all of the love and support that has come from all of you.Thankful for my mom who has tirelessly served us, giggled with me in the most serious of times, loved me in the nittiest and grittiest of ways. Of course there have been moments of sadness and disappointment, frustration and weariness...and yet God keeps reminding us of His goodness and His grace.

Did you listen to Steve and Annie Chapman in the 80's and 90's? They are a neat Christian couple who I grew up listening to because mom loved them and I grew to love them too. All of their songs are about love and family and I think that growing up listening to such positive messages about what family can be when God is the center is part of the reason I have wanted to be a mommy since I was about 5:) Anyway, when I found out I was pregnant I started to crave that purity and those precious songs from long ago and asked for a CD for Christmas. Joel almost cried when he heard the CD for the first time. Unfortunately, he was not almost crying from being touched by the words--he hated the dated music and couldn't stand it! So, alas, I have to listen to the CD when I'm alone. One of the lines from a song keeps coming to me. It says,

" I count it as a privilege, I count it cause for praise...to kiss my children good night at the close of everyday. For I know too soon they're up and gone, and walkin' out the door..and I'll never have a child to kiss goodnight anymore."

Now, the first time that line ran through my head it made me a bit sad. I thought,"I haven't even gotten to kiss my babies yet! Why would God let me get fever blisters right now? I only wish they were here for me to put to bed each night, etc. etc." Then I thought to myself, "Good grief Jenny. If you have that attitude now, you'll always be looking towards the future and not praising God for the moments that you have with your babies each day...even now."

So please pray with me that I will not only look expectantly forward to the days to come, but that I will remember to be thankful for each moment. So, now when the line runs through my head I have started to fill in my own praises like

"I count it as a privilege , I count it cause for praise..."
To hold my babies to my chest and feel their little bodies against mine.
To watch the man who I love be so tender and so strong with our children.
To be able to provide Sam and Amelia with the nutrients they need so badly. Etc. Etc.

It helps me keep perspective during a time when my heart seems to fall so easily. Now, really, if you want to hear some great songs run out to Amazon.com and get a CD. Maybe preview a few songs first, though, and see if you can handle the music. If not, maybe you should choose one of their books instead:)

Without further ado, though, here are some updated pictures for you:)

Amelia :)


Sam scratching his head and looking a little confused:)


A tired looking mommy holding her baby boy...



Such a great shower...we felt so loved!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny I love the pictures..they are so cute! So what baby stuff do you still need after your shower? Are there any more showers to come? love ya anna

Anonymous said...

Jenny & Joel--Every day I can't wait to run home from work to see what has been posted from proud Momma & Daddy. The school won't let us open "blogs." What a surprise to hear from both of you today and what wonderful news of how well Sam & Amelia are doing. Isn't our God great? I got misty eyed looking at the pictures. Motherhood definitely becomes you! You remain in our prayers. Thanks for letting us know what to specifically pray for. My love to you, Joel, Amelia and Sam. Special hugs and love to your wonderful Mom. I miss hearing her voice. Please tell her to call when she can. Love you so much!
Gee

Court said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Court said...

Jenny ~ it really is all about counting it a privilege...even when it's different that you imagined it would be. I am praying for you! So glad to see the latest pics of the beauties. They look wonderful.

How neat to have Joel's class throw you a shower. Now you have plenty of goodies for when Sam & Amelia come home. I hope that you were both able to enjoy the time out with your friends last night.

ashley said...

Really...SO CUTE!!!!!

Shanna said...

Jenny--How true to be thankful for what today holds. I find myself saying to Jonathan, "I can't wait until you can...(sleep through the night?)..." when I should be focusing on enjoying him now. All too soon he won't want to cuddle with me anymore and he'll be a teenager that is embarrassed to be seen with me! Thank you for that great reminder...I just might have to order that CD!! Thanks so much for the pictures of Sam and Amelia. How funny that they already have little personalities. Love you! Shanna

Dee D said...

Hey guys, Beth I. told me about your blog; it's great! I love your pictures. They are so cute.

-Deann Davidhizar (Hobbs)