Thursday, April 12, 2007

"So, what happened?!"

I know this is what a lot of you must be asking:) I'll try to give you a short version for now:

Yesterday I had started feeling a little bit more crampy than I had been and mentioned it to mom. She had to convince me to tell the nurse as I wasn't feeling any contractions and didn't want to go back to labor and delivery to be monitored. The nurse called the resident and they wanted to do a vaginal exam. I asked if I could be monitored first to see if I was indeed having contractions before they did that horrid speculum exam.They agreed. I was sure the monitor would show that there weren't contractions and all was well.

Ahem. Apparently I don't know what contractions feel like. I blame it on the fact that I have always had HORRIBLE period cramps, so to me what I was feeling was just a dull, achy period like cramp. I saw mom's eyes widen as she watched the monitor and soon we were whisked away to L&D. I was having contractions like crazy. My vaginal exam showed that I was 100% effaced and 3 cm dilated!! I knew that the babies birth weight and Sam being transverse meant a Csection was coming, so I actually relished feeling the labor pains and watching the contractions on the monitor. Joel rushed into the room after finally getting our calls at school, and we both shed a few tears realizing that this was it! Our babies were coming out at 29 weeks gestation, and the OR I was going to be wheeled into was a far cry from a willow tree:) Mom and Joel both got to be there, though, and hold my hands through the surgery. There were no complications and the babies were whisked straight from the belly, through a window, into the NICU.

They are both doing really, really well right now. Neither of them had to be intubated and Amelia got to take off her little nose tube that helps her breath because she is doing so well on her own. Sam still has his little tube in and has to work a little harder, but the nurses say he is doing great and should catch up soon. Tonight I am supposed to get to hold Amelia skin to skin for the first time and I just can't wait. Joel is already the best Papa ever and loves to spend time in the NICU with his babies. He changes their tiny little diapers and listens to their heart beats and talks with them and then comes back and tells me all about it.

I am recovering well but am exhausted. The hardest part for me is the constant barrage of people coming in and out of the room all day and all night long. I think I'll do much better when I can rest in my own little home.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers. We still have a long way to go so please do keep remembering Amelia and Sam to the Lord. He has been so faithful to our little family. Much love, Jen

9 comments:

Cristy Jensen said...

Jenny! I am so proud of you. You sound like you're doing great. Last night around 11pm you came to mind and I said many prayers for you! Your babies are going to do GREAT in the NICU. I believe they will come out with flying colors.
All my love,
Cristy!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you. I am glad you will be holding a little one soon. Those hospitals are horrible when it comes to getting any sleep. Keeping you in my prayers, love anna

Court said...

Jenny ~ I know that the whole experience wasn't what you had wished for (willow trees, calm scenery) but we are rejoicing that Sam & Amelia are doing well, despite the early arrival. God is a BIG God and we know that He is safely watching over them and protecting them in the NICU. I know that you must be so excited to be able to hold Amelia ~ what a wonderful moment that will be for Momma and baby.

We are all praying for your quick recovery from the C-section and a miraculous and speedy growing time over the next few weeks for the little ones. You are all in our prayers.

Love, Court

Anonymous said...

as a fellow pregnant mama, i am crying tears of joy and anticipation for you.
love
abbe

ashley said...

Jenny...I can't believe you didn't "feel" the labor...boy you're stronger than me!! I also can't believe you're already on your computer writing on your blog...what a strong woman you are!!

I'm so glad that you and the babies are doing well. I remember it was hard to get rest while in the hospital. Although you'll want to be there because your little ones are there, you'll be so much more comfortable at home and will have time to rest and recover.

Hope the next few days go well for you!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm speechless. What joyous news!

Also, I can't believe you're blogging from the hospital. ;-)

We're praying for all four of you.

/Kevin & Beth

The Bittles said...

Praise God your precious little babies have arrived safely! You and your family are in our thoughts constantly and Hudson said he can't wait to play with Amelia & Sam when they're older! ALL OUR LOVE, Kristi
PS You are amazing. I had to laugh out loud when I saw you were already blogging and have such an amazing sense of humor - you're my role model!

Anonymous said...

i have been thinking about you so much jenny i'm so glad that the babbies are doing ok. rex told me about your water breaking! i'm so glad to read the story and hear that everything is ok. i will continue to keep all of you in my prayers. i love and miss ya'll. i cann't wait to see you and joel's new little blessings:)

love,
leah faye

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I was sick yesterday and didn't read your blog - and look what I missed - the exciting newz!!!

Praise the Lord, and we will continue to pray that Sam &
Amelia do great!!!

WOW H WOW!!! :)