Saturday, April 28, 2007

"How does it feel to be a Grammy?"

I’ve been asked this several times and tried to answer this question to one dear friend.
I’ll try to answer again.
When I heard the news that Jenny’s water broke I felt like a “mom”. I just needed to be beside her as quickly as possible. Seeing the tears of concern in both Jenny and Joel’s eyes made me respect the calm courage they both displayed through the difficult reports that followed. Watching Jenny through her c-section, watching Joel comfort her, watching my two grandchildren appear and be whisked away brought a whole new feeling. I wanted to protect Jenny and I wanted to be on the other side of the window that they handed Millie and Sam through. While watching Jenny recover and try to visit these two little people I wanted to protect her. What if there was more pain ahead? It didn’t take long for me to realize I was not in control of any of this and I was going to have to trust the One that was.
Are you wondering when I’m going to answer the question??? Every time I lift the blanket that covers the incubator and catch that first glimpse of Millie or Sam, I cry. They have been the most beautiful babies I’ve ever seen (next to my very own). When I think of leaving the same city they are in, I cry. When I watch Joel or Jenny hold them, I cry. When the nurse asked if I wanted to take their temperature and change their diapers I did not hesitate one second and I did not cry. When I looked at Sam yesterday and could see Joel Jr. in his little face, I smiled. And when I look into Millie’s eyes and see Joel Hunt, well, it makes it hard to have a serious conversation with Joel H. because all I can see is Millie. I love them with a fierce love and I think that’s what it feels like to be a “Grammy”. I just had to go through a few more emotions to get there.

4 comments:

Elizabeth K. Lewis said...

Hi Joyce, I'm blessed by reading your heart in this latest post. What a precious season this is for you- may God continue to bless you tremendously through Joel, Jenny, and the little Hunts. :) In His Love, Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I told Kevin just yesterday that I can't think of you without tearing up. Being a mom I could only imagine what it felt like to be in your shoes. Thank God he is in control. I was so glad to see you and hear your words and thoughts.
love you lots,b

Anonymous said...

Sweet friend,
so good to hear from you on this post!
I'm so thankful you are there -y'all continue to be in our thoughts and prayers,
love you!
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Joy-ceeeeee!
I didn't know about this blog until Sunday and now I have poured over all of it and then some. The wee ones are absolutely precious. I have not stopped praying for J,J,S &A since Gee told me about your call on 4/7. I am in awe of their teeny-tiny-ness and recognize the fearfully wonderful knitting of their Creator. I love the pictures!

Please give my heartfelt hugs of congratulations to Mom & Dad. Even under "normal" circumstances, the new role as parents is daunting (I cried when we first put Josh in the car to leave the hospital... What were we doing?! How could the hospital let us leave with this baby?!! We don't know HOW to be parents!!!). But I'm in admiration of Jenny and Joel. What beautiful strength! What beautiful trust! What beautiful love!

I hope that there is some way to preserve this blog so that Amelia and Sam can read it when they are grown. What a treasure it will be!

Please know that I am "with" you all daily, connected by the words they write and through the One who holds us all in His loving hands.

My love to you and yours and theirs! xoxo
Marilee

From the lips of children and infants You have ordained praise...