Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Just Me and My Boy

I spent most of last night at the NICU with my little guys. I got to hold Sam for the first time ever. He'd never been held at all by anyone and it was already day 5. They wrapped him and handed him to me in a rocking chair and we just that there and laughed and smiled and made faces at each other. He'd talk for a while and then I'd talk. We discussed things that we were going to do when we hung out together, after we decide what it is he likes to do, but until then I guess he's stuck doing what I like to do. I told him all the things I hoped to teach him about life and being a kid and then a man, but first a brother and a good son to his mommy and looking to God to be his guide and best friend of all. We had a wonderful time, me and Sammy. I got to hold him for an hour or so, a little longer I think.

When I would put my hand on his little head his oxygen saturation would start to go down, my guess is because he was getting too comfortable and forgetting to breath, neonates actually do do that. So I couldn't keep my hand on his head. He was making all kinds of cute and funny little faces, he also really did talk up a little storm. He's a bit of a wiggle-worm, unlike his sister who just lays there and soaks it all up. He sure is a cutie, all the nursing staff thinks so too. That was certainly the highlight of my day for sure. Oh, he wasn't on any kind of breathing device, just a nasal cannula like you get when you go to the hospital that blows a little bit of oxygen. He's still not out of the woods as far as his lungs go but he's looking a lot better in that department. But since they are so small they can go downhill so fast, that's where we just have to pray.

I stayed up there last night until about 4 AM hanging out with the twins and also getting in some cramming for a test I took this morning, a PEDIATRIC test of all things. NOT the kind of information you want to be learning while sitting in a NICU where your two premature infants are being cared for, I assure you!!!! Ignorance is bliss, but unfortunately I have to pay the price of knowledge and it is a heavy price right now. There is soooooooooooooooooooooo much that can go wrong, so, so, so much, but I also have the benefit of knowing that God is in control and knows exactly what is going on and He has a plan, I just hope I can accept His plan when I find it out. But still, it's tough to be reading about all this stuff with Sam & Amelia laying in their little isolettes with tubes and hoses and wires coming out from everywhere.

I just love haning out with those twins, and I know you will too when you get the chance.

2 comments:

Court said...

How wonderful to hear of your time with Sam, Joel! I can't even imagine not being held for 5 days. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. We continue to pray for you all. Hope you did ok on your test, too!

Shanyn Zink said...

Joel, I loved that. That was incredible. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing that with everyone. It's kind of like a dream hearing you talk about your twins and hanging out with your son. Oh my gosh!! You're a dad!! Halelujah praise the Lord. And what an incredible job you're doing already. You aced THAT exam -though I don't know how you did on the the Pedi one. I'm sure you probably did pretty good on that one too. Love ya, Aunt Shan