Saturday, June 14, 2008

To my dear one on Father's day...

I was remembering today being in the labor and delivery room, you having just rushed in from class after getting mom's frantic calls that I was having more frequent contractions. Soon after this the doctor came in and confirmed that I was in labor and 100% effaced and the babies were going to have to come out NOW by Csection. Sam was transverse and they were still just too tiny to try and turn him manually with a vaginal delivery. For me, hearing these words brought finality to the question of a natural delivery. As the doctor's and interns left the room to go prepare for the surgery, though, I looked at you and saw those big, brown eyes full of tears. You lay your head down on the bed beside me and your whole body shook with sobs. While the moment with the doctor had shifted me into mommy gear, leaving my dream of a natural and unmedicated birth behind for a bit, you hadn't let it go. You looked up at me with that quivering chin and said, "I just don't want you to feel like you lost your dream."

At that moment I felt more loved than almost ever before. Of course, we both shed many a tear for the babes and the scary time we had in the NICU, but right then it was as if you were looking into my core being and caring deeply. For me. For your wife. For the mama. What I was thinking today was how glad I am that the babes will have an example of their papa loving their mama deeply and knowingly and purposefully. You have done it many a time since then, but that one will always stick in my mind as the most illustrative. Thank you for your love. Your love for me and for our children. For all of the many, many , many (did I say many), late nights and early mornings with the babes, for the times when you should have been studying but instead were bathing/burping/changing/rocking/walking/slinging/snuggling with a baby or two. For the affirmations you have given me again and again.You have done it all with amazing grace. Jen

P.S. Happy Father's day to my dad too! My hope is that Amelia and Sam will feel as loved and believed in by their daddy as your children always have been made to feel by you.
P.S.S. A video treat for you all of Joel and Sam in a music video completely choreographed by Joelie (this was months ago). Oh my.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

mmmmm....Jolie...
love him. love him even more as a father...
big strong hunk of sweet love!



**Jen, i just know your dream will come true. That next babe is just waiting for your labor of love!
i believe this !!!!!!!!!!**

joyce said...

the memories flood back of that day and watching my sweet son-in-love handle a huge hurdle. i have never been so proud of him. in the midst of grief and fear he gaurded and protected his wife and babies.
happy father's day, joel hunt!

Anonymous said...

Happy Father's Day Joel!!!!! Hope it's not too hot in Africa, they have deserts and stuff there.

Love, Joel

Anonymous said...

Oh my Jenny, what a beautiful story and picture of what God intended a husband and wife to be. I didn't really know Joel before your relationship with him but I have seen him love you and you him and it has always made me very very happy for you both. My joy is that I know Amelia and Sam will watch their papa with their mama and know what marriage is intended to be and neither of them will settle for less. I love you all, b Happy Fathers Day Joel!