Tuesday, June 24, 2008

There's just something about Sam...

Dear Sammy,

As promised, here is your 14 month old update. This has been a big month for you!

1) Your strength has grown in leaps and bounds these past few weeks. For so long you were content to sit and watch Amelia crawl and explore. You hated to be on your tummy and just preferred to sit and observe and play with whatever happened to be within your reach. In my head I knew that you would crawl when you were ready, but my mama worry sometimes got the best of me and I longed to see you move and worried that we should be doing more to help you. Sure enough, though, you suddenly started to show that you wanted to keep up with sister and the scooting began! First backwards, then forwards in an army crawl. We watched you grow stronger and stronger and my heart was so glad. Now you are crawling and trying to climb and pulling up on everything. You are still a bit wobbly sometimes and it makes me nervous but I'm learning once again to let go and let you grow.
We are cheering you on sweet Sam, every step of the way.

2) Socially, you continue to melt everyone's heart. Your smile makes even the roughest person grin back. You still study some faces with the deepest concentration when you first meet them, but usually they are rewarded with that huge smile that assures them you think they are A-okay. You're still our snuggly Sam and I love the way you curl up in my arms to nurse or to be rocked. You love your musical instruments and are so proud whenever you play your xylophone, beat your drum, or shake your egg shakers or jingle bell sticks. We all LOVE to see you dance--sometimes at the most random moments you just break out with your whole body wiggle and it makes everyone around you start to dance too to encourage you to keep going!

3) Unfortunately, you and I have been doing the "Mighty Molar" dance these past few weeks. It consists of you not being able to fall asleep on your own because in the stillness of your crib you remember those pesky molars trying to work their way into your mouth.So, you cry the most pitiful wail and I come and swoop you up with your blanket and we stand in the nursery and bounce and sway and rock and whisper shhhh shhh shhh shhh in your ear and hold you as close as possible as that is your comfort zone until you finally doze off. Then, usually around 2:30 am we do it all over again. Sometimes for an hour or two. I tell you, by the end of this teething business I may look like a body builder! Poor little guy, these molars have done a number on you. The pain makes you frustrated and it shows itself as you being super sensitive and hitting and biting and throwing little fits--which is so not you. It's no fun for any of us and we are all ready for you to feel like yourself again.

4) You love textures and will be content for quite a long period of time if you have found something new to touch and run through your fingers. You love to look at shadows and light and observe all that is going on around you. Yesterday we went to the park and while Amelia and Vera were on the go go go you sat and the stroller and soaked it all in with your little feet propped up. I love that little laid back, curled up in comfort side of you. Oh, and how did I forget, you LOVE to eat! Avacado, eggs, cheerios, Veggie Booty, squash, carrots, fruit, ice, chicken, beans....almost anything! It amazes me how much you can fit in that little stomach of yours!

I love being your mom Sam. Love seeing your huge smile, love feeling your face against mine as we sway in the deep of the night, love watching you make people happy and feel connected to you through your knowing looks and rewarding grins. Can't wait to see what you have in store for us this month:) Mama

Here are some video clips of you Sammy,

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sam when I first met you and your sister, you came to my arms first. I held you on my belly, and I memorized your scent. My eyes met yours so deep and I recognized my own tenderness in yours. I dream of the day little Sam that we can walk hand in hand, and share the most sensitive thoughts together.
Love your Aunty Tara

ann.e said...

we love you, sam! your smile IS infectious :)

Shanyn Zink said...

The music is in you, Sam. It's IN you. I LOVE YOU!!! And I think you inuitively see the music in everyone - even the ones that hide it really well. You are soo cool. I feel like I know you already, bud.
Your fan for life,
Aunty Shan
PS Sorry about the molar episode dude!! (uh oh, Royal Highness just informed me NOT to use that word around Amelia as it gives her a false hope that she will see her beloved Uncle's dog soon...so uh, I apologize Amelia, and I will use the word, BUD, R.H., from now on, oKay? Okay.)