Sunday, June 01, 2008

Empty Nesters...





I know, I know...we are a long way from being true empty nesters. Still, our little snuggly Sam has flown out of our family bed and is in his own little cage...i mean nest:) We decided about a week before we left for our trip that it was time. He was rolling,rolling,rolling to fall asleep and then wanted to roll in the middle of the night and as soon as he woke up! Not a good thing when you are in a bed that you could fall out of and with a mama and papa that didn't really want to play in the middle the night! Every child is different, but I have to say that the transition was so easy for Sam. This is why I wish people (like our dear pediatrician Dr.D) wouldn't try to scare families away from co-sleeping by saying the kids won't be able to move into their own bed until they are five because it will be too hard for them! The first night was really hard--for me! I literally felt my heart aching to have my little Sam next to us as he had been every night since he came home from the NICU. Seeing how easy he made the transition, though, made it easier on us. Still, after putting together the crib we stood back and looked at our increasingly traditional looking nursery and Joel said, "What if I miss the babies sleeping with us so much that you find me in the crib with Sam one morning?"

Oh yes, we will always cherish the memories of our co-sleeping nights(though they were not always smooth, i am not trying to give that impression at all). I am, though, truly thankful for how healing it was for us as a family. A family that had been apart for too long. Our Amelia is still struggling. Helping her transition into sleep at night and throughout the night has always been a challenge. Any change (moving out of her hammock into her own bed/people coming to visit/this trip, etc.) seems to cause her to really regress in being able to fall asleep on her own. Again, wish people(ahem, Dr.D) wouldn't throw out sleep training methods like they will work for every babe. It just isn't so.

Anyway, enough about all that, Just wanted to share with you about our little guy and one of the big happenings in his life. Love to you, Jen

5 comments:

Oberg family said...

congrats Sam! Looks like you are doing well with the new transition, and for sweet Amelia, you will get things situated in your own time. You go girl!

joel and jenny, Hope you are both doing as well as those precious babies are. I can't wait to see you guys this month. Jenny, Call me when your mom is in town and we will get together.

miss all of you!

ann.e said...

i'm glad it went smoothly for little sam! he doesn't look like he has much room to turn around in.... you won't hurt my feelings if you ditch the cute bumpers :)

Sarah H said...

It was funny to read your post today, because Stella ended up sleeping with us last night after sleeping in her own bed for a long time now! I have to say, I didn't get much sleep (she takes up a lot more of the bed now, and she squirms!), but I sure loved opening my eyes every so often and seeing her precious sleeping face. :)

Unknown said...

I cannot even imagine this day.
Maybe I will just join her on the floor, as soon as we get the palate down!

Megan Sandoz said...

can I just say how much I LOVE those cute bumpers. so precious.