Sunday, July 27, 2008

To the beat of her own drum...

Amelia and Sam both stopped taking a pacifier at around 5 months old. Just stopped. They stopped drinking bottles not long after that (mostly because it was just easier for me to breast feed them than to take the time to pump/warm up bottles etc.). They have never had "lovies", though Sam does like to have a soft blanket with him to sleep. I remember when Amelia was going through one of her rougher stages of transitioning to sleep, I went to our favorite local toy store desperate to find her something wonderful to sleep with. I have to admit that I wasn't very persistent with the whole " help her get attached to this lovely "lovey" thing and it failed miserably. She simply tossed whatever I tried to snuggle up against her out of her crib!

So, you can imagine my surprise when she has lately become VERY attached to an object other than her mama. Suddenly this object must go with her to the grocery store, be tucked next to her while she eats, and is at this moment clutched in her hand as she sleeps! Are you ready for this?











"The Beloved"

She has to have both the outfit and the clothes hanger. See, I had brought two of their preemie outfits out to hang up at their birthday party and they have been hanging on the outside of the hall closet since then. Amelia always thought it was fun to touch them as we walked by into the nursery, but about a week ago she started wanting to hold Sam's outfit. Well, that has progressed until today when she practically held it the entire day! Oh my. Maybe it will be a very short lived obsession! Today at the grocery store she dropped her "beloved" as I was checking out. One of the checkers came over to talk to the babes and she said, "Oops, you dropped your doll." She picked it up and said, "Or, your, um, outfit." I had no idea what to say, so I just smiled. Let's hope it's a short lived obsession! Excuse me while I go pry it out of her hands before she pokes her (already black--but that's another story) eye out in her sleep, Jen

10 comments:

Dawn said...

OK, that is hysterical...
I Love "The beloved" story...
keep 'em coming - they are priceless, and so are those precious baby's.
Love, Puddin'

Mojavi said...

hahaha that is funny!

I love the "parenting the quirks" let them be who they are because it makes for the best stories later :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder if it's the silky ribbon on the hanger that makes the hanger so important???
She's so smart...
Grammy

The Bittles said...

Don't you just love how humble our little ones keep us? Last week during the communion prayer at church Hudson rocket launched his paci right at the stranger's head in front of us - and to make it worse, he ignored it bouncing off his noggin and onto the floor. The associate pastor snickered and I couldn't help but smile and try not to turn red :)

Shanyn Zink said...

Oh - zat eez mye Ameelia. So artisteek az to hav to hav nouveau fashion at all tyeems.

Zees vil be ze rage. Soon. For all bebbes.

Vering Deeziner cloze - so yesterday. Being able to take them off your hanger and pass them to an curious onlooker or maybe even in a fit of fashion generosity - giving away your beloved fashion statement to a STRANGER. Zees is so dynamic, so versatile, it's a new transcendent, paradigm shift in our relationship vees fabreek and fashion. I LUV eet.
- Royal Highness

Shanyn Zink said...

Okay. In case anyone is curious, Royal Highness is NOT another name for me (hardly), rather it is the name of a certain stuffed cat that Amelia & Sam's wonderfu Aunty Tara made them. The cat came alive one day while we were all playing with it and has not stopped sharing it's rather elitist aristocratic thoughts with whoever will listen, much like the animals in Beatrix Potter's world. (Only R.H. would NEVER be in a Beatrix Potter book - too "farm" for him.) Heee. ;) Yes, Aunty Shanyn is a beet crazy. ;)

Jenny said...

Hi Shanny,

Royal wanted me to thank you for being his mouth piece to the world and wondered if i could share some video shots of him( with you as his voice) on the blog as well. You should have known he would want more exposure:) Jen

Anonymous said...

that is hilarious!!! amelia, you're great. you might not know it, but we 'talk' to you on the phone every day here. i just told vera i was writing to you and she says "a-ya a-ya a-ya!" We'll call you for real on Friday!

anne

Shanna said...

Great story! Too precious!! I love the link you sent me for "helper" toys--SOOOO great. How do you find all this stuff?! You amaze me!! :>

Shanyn Zink said...

OH! I'm so sorry to have kept you waiting, Royal. Why, yes! If that is what you want...for the world to see you..then (gulp) who am I to hold you back. It's okay, Jen. ;)
Shan
PS But I DON't think he'll be able to be satisfied with his spot on the shelf after that media exposure. You know..his head will get even BIGGER!