Sunday, July 06, 2008

It is 10pm. I am watching a movie, a movie full of turmoil and betrayal and strife. Suddenly I have the urge to see the babies. I turn the knob to the nursery door, holding my breath and hoping it doesn't wake them. I tip toe to Sam's crib, using my cell phone as a light to guide the way. Ah, there he is, my little guy. Curled up in his little pajamas. I put my hand on his back and just stand there--feeling him breath and being thankful for him. Thankful that even after another long day of teething fussiness, he melts my heart completely. I cross the room to Amelia and see her sprawled out on her back--looking as if she was doing a snow angel in her bed and just fell asleep:) Her little doll next to her on one side and an open board book on the other. Oh Amelia, my full of life girl. My heart sighs in relief. All is well in our little world. Even though it was a long day, even though Joelie's flight was delayed and he will be a day later than expected, I have an enormous amount to be thankful for. God gave me another day with two precious little souls.

With a full heart this night, Jen

8 comments:

Joel said...

I miss you all terribly. I should be home right now taking a walk with you or lying on the floor playing with you and seeing you guys in your new clothes playing with some new toys. Oh I can't wait. I tried to make the flight, running/sprinting through the airport with bags flying everywhere and belt in hand because I didn't want to take the time to put it on after going through security, all to show up at the wrong gate. We had passed the right gate about 7 miles earlier, however, it is doubtful we still would have made it. It was very frustrating, to say the least. Hang in there a little longer, I'm trying to do the same, but it's hard. I cannot wait to see all your beautiful faces again very soon. Love you all so much, joel/Dad

Oberg family said...

jen, you have the words that just melt my heart. i hope your sweetheart will be home very soon! i bet the two of you have many things to talk about and catch up on.

give the babies kisses for me. have a great day!

Anonymous said...

one glance at those two babes does make all well!
can't wait for that sweet joel to be home with his little fam.
hang in there, jen, it's a long life.(inside joke!):)

ann.e said...

I don't know what's sweeter than a sleeping baby. Sorry for the delay - tomorrow that extra day of waiting will be forgotten :)

[and um if you want to play today, give us a call :)]

Shanyn Zink said...

Well, one wonderful thing is that you get to have that great comment from Joelie and the peace that comes with knowing he will be home ASAP AND that (if it were me, since I always need to do this...) you get to maybe get something done that you really wanted to get done before he came home and ran out of time to do or so you thought. So yeay!!! He's acomin' round the corner pretty sooon!! Pretty cool - dad and son flying from two different continents today to be with the Hunt Clans. Love you,
Shan

Jocelyn said...

There is nothing like at the end of a day that hasn't gone like you'd hoped, you've seen too much hurt or frustration, you feel at the end of your rope... and walking in to see the peace and rest of a baby. I don't know how many times when I've started becoming anxious or like I have so little control over the futures of my babies that I walk in and see them safe and sleeping, and I feel peace and comfort. You captured it completely.

Unknown said...

I go through this almost every day aroung 10:30... when its past my bedtime and i am going through my night cap. You long for your independence but much more you long to stand over them, and to guard their hearts. God did wonders when he created our hearts.
How lucky we are to live in such faithful motherhood.

Shanyn Zink said...

Soooo glad he's home finally!! :) It was wonderful hearing the intense giggling from Amelia while on the phone with Joel who was watching Jen & Millie play "getcha". ;) CAN'T WAIT FOR OUT OF AFRICA BLOG!!! :)
I know, I know, it's waaay to soon to check - you need some MAJOR down time with the aforementioned man & your brood - BUT as you said before, from blog checker's perspective the wait is sometimes excruciating. ;)Love ya'll!!!!
Aunti & Sister Shan