Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I made something.

It gets, well, a bit depressing to read blog after blog of amazingly creative women who do things like whip up a summer wardrobe for their daughter in an evenings time, or make their own delicious bread and butter for a morning picnic on top of a hand made blanket. You get the picture. My hands have been longing to do a project of my own for a while, but what to do? First, I needed to learn a skill. So, my mom tried to teach me to embroider. I really liked it, but the project I started was a little ambitious and I soon grew weary of it and it is now with my mom in her basket of goodies that are waiting to be finished. Hmmm, what next? Something simple. Something for the babes. Ah ha! Something using pictures, which I have millions of and love to work with.

The result:





A board book. I like for the books they look at right now to have realistic pictures in it as they are learning about the world around them, and what is more realistic than pictures of things that they see every day? It isn't perfect, and I decided that that is okay. I have lots of plans for more. A grandparent book, an aunts/uncles book, an Africa book with Joelie's pictures, a feelings book, a colors book..... One thing at a time, though, and for now they are enjoying their "Favorite things" book and I am too. Should you like something easy to create for the little ones in your life, I found the blank books at Bare books. Enjoy! Jen

P.S. Amelia's obsession continues...

11 comments:

Jocelyn said...

OK- THAT is wonderful and I want more information about how you actually did it. Did you use actual pictures or print the image on paper? How do they stay on the book-- do you use the covers on each page that they advertise on their website? (it's hard to tell if those covers are just for the book cover, or if you can use them on the actual book pages. Oh my goodness- this is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. Thank you for sharing your creativity with the rest of us!

ann.e said...

i love it! what a 'creative family' you'll have ;)

by the way the other day i showed vera s+a's picture on the top of your blog and she was clearly very very excited!

the bakks said...

They look like big kids, Jenny. How does it happen so fast?!

The book looks great - congratulations!

Unknown said...

go jenny, go.

p.s.- Melias....um... whats up with that smile to go along with that weird thing you've been toting around?

Jenny said...

Hi Girls,

Joc--SO simple. I used actual prints and just cropped them to fit. I glued them down with scrap booking glue. I used the Chunky 5 by 5 book and and the new 8 by 8 is great for two pics per page. So glad you like it!

Anne--come home:) Vera and amelia are totally going to be toddling every where together!

Ellie--I know right?

Tara--yes, her faces have been cracking us up! Quite the expressive one that amelia!

Love you girls and thanks for your comments--they make me smile:) Jen

Mojavi said...

that is such a good idea!

also i can't believe she is still totting around that hanger and onsie LOL!!! too cute

Unknown said...

What a great idea! The babes are getting so big! Its happened again...up late reading ur blog! I love to see the babies exploring our world. God bless!

Tammy said...

LOVE the board books. perfect!

Also get a huge kick out of Amelia with that onesie :)!

Kelly said...

very cool project, jenny! by the way -- THANK YOU for the book resource. of course, you did it unknowingly, but you gave me a resource that i have searched for for so long! the blank spiral books look perfect for shower guest books that i make. my source quit making the "perfect" size. silly them. ;)

Robin said...

THAT IS SO AMAZING! i have been trying to think of gifts for Christmas that I can make...I LOVE those books! And Dude is so proud to be in them! Can't wait to see you all this week!! Love you!

Unknown said...

Jenny,
You are so smart. The book is terrific.
Mom