Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sometimes life looks like this.

So, I have designated Wednesdays as our "Nature Club" morning. A morning of the week where we go for a nature walk or hike, make a seasonal craft, etc. This morning, even though we had a late night and an early morning, I was raring to go. "Let's go guys! Here we go! Let's take some books and go read at City Creek!" They, on the other hand, were in slow motion. After they finally made their way downstairs, it wasn't long before they were out in the back yard playing. Inwardly I was pouting, imaging us in the cool morning forest. I went outside to tell them to "come on" and then I paused when I saw this.



They were "cleaning the road" and had an elaborate system going. Sam had no pants on, Amelia had a collection of "cute" worms she was gathering...who am I to say that this relaxed play is less worthwhile than gathering materials for a nature mobile?
So, here we are. They are in the sandbox now, and I am catching up on e-mails and doing some housework. All is well, though I am sure that soon my sandy, wet children will be ready to come inside for a snack and ask to go to City Creek. It will be too close to nap time to go. I'll say "maybe this afternoon". Sometimes, on a larger scale, life looks like this. Plain and ordinary and not as "photogenic" as we imagine it will be. While I won't stop seeking nature and beauty, I do hope to learn to listen when Sam and Amelia are asking for the beauty of home and ordinary. Jen

P.S. Why the late night, you ask? We have small group here on Tuesdays and the kids all stayed up and watched the new Tinkerbell movie with friends. I cannot express how excited Amelia was about this! Ever since she got a hand me down bathing suit with tinkerbell on it she has been SO curious about her. I told her the story about Peter Pan but knew the movie, and even the book, would be way to scary for her at this point. Then I found out there were movies just about Tinkerbell. So, I thought about it but refrained since we haven't yet touched the highly marketed world of Disney (besides Mary Poppins, which doesn't have a million "things" in her image marketed towards children). She saw a picture of it on a Redbox stand the other night and was SO excited, that I decided not to resist any longer.

Aren't they all so cute? She was not disappointed and, once again, mama learned to let go a little bit. Not so much that she will be introduced to Disney Princesses any time soon:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Tinker Bell!
Love you all!
Mammy