Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I know a song about a beautiful whale...

I know it because I listened to it about 15 times on the way to and from the canyon today!:) "Baby Beluuuga, baby beluuuga", still rings in my head:) Sam adores that song, and Amelia sings it at the top of her lungs.
Anyway, we headed to the canyon for a picnic lunch to celebrate the first day of Fall! We wanted to collect acorns, but alas, we didn't find any. Guess we'll have to head to City Creek where we found some last Fall. Anyway, Sam spied some white shells, and acorns were all but forgotten as they scoured the mountainside for shells (and found lots--what does that mean? Why are they there?) They also found some beautiful leaves for our nature table. I bought some gourds at the store yesterday and Sammy had such a fun time decorating with all of these treasures today (He got in trouble for purposefully crunching one of Amelia's special leaves, and all the way to the time out stair he was wailing, "but I have to finish decoraaaaating!".


I have only gone up to the canyons by myself with the babes once or twice before, and I always feel so adventurous when I do! Usually Joel leads our outdoor adventures, and I am thankful for that because he gets us out much more than I would. However, short trips like the one today are really fun and I hope to do it much more often. I did get kind of panic-y at one point. I was letting them lead the way and they wanted to go up,up,up. We did for a while and then I started thinking, "What if something happens? We are out here all alone." They were not happy about turning around until I said, "Guys, mama is getting a little bit nervous because way up high is where we might see a mountain lion." I don't think they could have scurried down the mountain side any quicker than they did! :) We had a nice picnic and then left just as the dark clouds started to sprinkle down on us.







So, happy Fall to you all! Jen

P.S. Please remember that our festivity stand and seasonal book basket are the only "decorating" that I do for most seasons/holidays, so don't start thinking I am super on top of things:)

1 comment:

capturing said...

Oh Griffin loves that song, and that book. I have known it by heart for a while now. That is so brave of you to go up the canyon by yourself. Go you! It feels empowering sometimes to do those types of things. I think you do a wonderful job at everything you do. I love that space you showed us with your festivity stand and book basket. Happy fall!