Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Ordinary Moments...

When my life is going through a peaceful season, I will often get a bit morbid in my thoughts. Like, "Hmm, things cannot continue like this for very long. Oh no! I hope Joel isn't going to get in a bike accident and die. Or be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. Lord, please don't let my mama get cancer. What if Sam or Amelia dies in a car accident, or both of them! What if they ride their trikes down the driveway and get hit by a car! Because, let's face it, terrible life-changing stuff happens every day. All day long. " Then I will get a little panicky or teary or what have you. I don't let myself stay there long, but it's just long enough to make me look at my every day with a little different perspective. Ordinary moments aren't so ordinary anymore. They are pretty extraordinary.

Laying in bed this morning. The windows open, the crisp spring air all around me. Birds chirping. Sammy on my right side and Amelia on my left and Joelie beside her--little legs and arms all over us. We are all snuggled in and I am the only one awake--reveling in our togetherness .

Reading on the front porch swing with my little ones yesterday. They were still waking up from a long nap...fuzzy hair and sleepy eyes. Gobbling up fresh bread with honey on it and excited to read "Caps for Sale" again.

Joel in the back yard tilling the garden. A red bandanna tied around his head, holding his unruly hair back as he works. He stops tilling and excitedly calls the babes over to look at all the worms in the soil. Clothes are hanging on the clothesline behind him.

I just couldn't get over how happy these ordinary moments were making me, and I think it's because I realize that though I don't want to dwell on it, I know deep inside that each of these moments is a gift that could be taken away at any time. And I want to slurp them up and I want to take them in and I don't want to rush by them. Oh no, these are the days. Every one. I know God would still give me joy if life took an unexpected turn, I know He heals hearts and makes beauty from ashes--but even still, I want to live life as He has given it to me now to the fullest and I think for me that means being present and being thankful in the most ordinary of moments.


With a thankful heart,
Jen


3 comments:

Hunca Munca said...

I can relate to your feelings about "ordinary" days. On my high school graduation day, my dad told me one of his favorite poems had the line, "Ordinary day - Oh, what a wonder you are." I've never forgotten it. Wishing you many more ordinary days to come!

Anonymous said...

THIS is the day the Lord has made...let us rejoice and be glad in it!!! I so agree, Jen...

How fun that the babes are enjoying the swing so much! They are little book worms like their Mom and Dad!

gma

capturing said...

Gosh, that creepin in anxiety! Sometimes it is so hard to just let life be good, isn't it? So glad you are able to enjoy the good stuff! Love you guys and I totally want to be eating that yummy bread and honey with you!