Saturday, May 01, 2010

I am weak, weak I say.

Day four of parenting on my own. We went to Target to get poster board for yard sale signs. The babes asked for new animals. "Please mama. Can we get one? Can we? Can we?" I say to myself, "Just say no. N O. You do not want them to think that if they beg for things you give in. N O. "

"Sure," I say.

Wait, what?!?! We walk to the Schleich animal section. Amelia changes her mind about fifty times. She sees a box of four sharks and says she wants that. I see a way to split the sharks, make them both happy and get the heck out of dodge. $17.99?!?!?! No way. N O.

"OK great, let's get these, " I hear myself saying.

I completely forget about the poster board and leave target with four new sharks, a bag of animal crackers and a box of goldfish.

Time for Joelie to get home.



All for now, Jen

5 comments:

Kevin said...

Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was a single mom working (guilty) mom and I had to start saying no. It was sooooo hard but once I got over the hump and the sad little face, it was still hard but I mad myself do it anyway. Hey I was going broke buying the toys he wanted after I already brought him home a wooden puzzle everyday. (I did mention guilt didn't I) Have I mentioned our great selection of wooden puzzles. You can do it. love you,b

Jenny said...

Hi Beth and Kevin,
Glad you guys are safe! A puzzle a day, huh? :) I think I am usually pretty good at saying no to "stuff", but I think they smelled my weakness today:) Ah well, Joelie gets home tomorrow evening and I'll just make myself stay home until then. Love you guys!! Jen

capturing said...

Can I just say that I think you are hilarious Jenny! You have me laughing, and sharing with Matt.

Hunca Munca said...

Oh, I can so relate to this...there are all kinds of ways to rationalize it - they will only be this age once, you're already here at the store, the sharks are really really really cool and they might not be here next time, etc. etc. :-) Being a mom is tough, but being a TOUGH mom is even tougher! Hang in there - you can do it! And enjoy every minute of shark play!