Thursday, May 13, 2010

In the kitchen...

A few recipes from my kitchen to yours. [I really am such an amateur in the kitchen. I always feel like Amelia Bedelia--afraid I am taking things literally that aren't meant to be. But, I am loving it and that is the important thing. I am nourishing my little family, and that is really the important thing. Still, I am so new to it all. Disclaimer over.]

Lemon Asparagus Pasta ( Simply in Season Cookbook--have I mentioned how much I love, love, love this cookbook. Well, I do. )

8 oz angel hair pasta
2 1/2 cups asparagus (cut into 1 inch pieces)
Cook pasta in boiling water 4 min. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes longer or until tender. Drain.

1 TBLS butter
1/2 cup green onions
1 1/2 tsp lemon peel
3 TBLS lemon juice
While pasta cooks, melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat. Add green onions and lemon peel and saute 1 minute. Add lemon juice and cook until juice is almost evaporated.

3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
Beat together. Add with pasta and asparagus to pan with green onions. Cook over low heat until milk mixture is slightly thick, about 4 minutes. Do not boil.

1 TBLS fresh dill (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
Stir in. Serve immediately.

I made this and artisan bread for my friend Karen on Wed. I really wanted something yummy because she is not an amateur in the kitchen. It was my first time making this recipe and artisan bread, and thankfully they both turned out well. Yay!!

Mexican Bean and Corn Casserole (Feeding the Whole Family cookbook)
Beans
1 cup dried black beans, soaked and drained.
1 garlic clove
1 tsp cumin seeds
3 cups water
1 tsp sea salt
Place beans in large pot with garlic clove, cumin seeds, and water. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat, covered, until tender (50 to 60 minutes) . Add salt after beans are cooked.
Polenta
3 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 TBLS oil
1 cup polenta
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
In a separate pot, bring the water to boil. Add salt and oil. Slowly add polenta, stirring continuously. Lower heat and continue stirring for 5 to 10 minutes until mixture is quite thick.
Vegetables
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 red or green pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped zucchini or shredded green cabbage
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
Heat the oil in a large skillet. Add onion, minced garlic, and salt; saute until soft.
Add pepper, zucchini, ground cumin, and oregano; saute 5 more minutes. Add cooked beans to the vegetables with tomato sauce and water. Check taste and add salt if necessary.

To assemble the casserole, preheat oven to 350. In a lightly oiled casserole dish, spread bean and vegetable mixture across the bottom. Spread the polenta on top. Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, for 25 minutes at 350; remove cover and 5 minutes more at 400.

Yummo! This was dinner tonight. Big thumbs up from myself, Joel, and Amelia. Sammy only wanted to eat tortilla chips. I cooked a big batch of black beans a few days ago, so that cut down on prep. time tonight which was nice.

Anyway, time to watch a movie with Joelie! Happy cooking, Jen





No comments: