Monday, May 10, 2010

Her love is wide, and his is deep.

Sam and Amelia are different--as different as can be. Sometimes I get concerned that Sammy's personality will be overshadowed by Amelia's as they get older. She is affectionate and friendly, outgoing and confident and just gets more so by the day it seems. Sammy is more inward, selective with his affection, observant more than interactive, and takes a while to warm up.
I had a conversation with my mama about it yesterday, asking if she had any thoughts on how to deal with it. How to assure them both that they are so loved, just as they are. That they are unique and different and we love and appreciate those differences.

Then, as I was walking home from the park today a thought hit me. "Amelia's love is wide and Sammy's is deep." Amelia loves almost everyone she meets and she shows it. She tells us she loves us at least 10 times a day. We just soak it up and so does everyone who meets her. She is really something special. Her love stretches wide.

Sammy. Oh Sammy. If you have ever felt Sammy's love than you know what I am talking about. It shoots right to the soul. His little chin will start quivering as he embraces you and you just want to eat him up. He will look right into your eyes and tell you that he loves you. He will share his most cherished possession with you. He is really something special. His love reaches deep.

I can't tell you how that thought relieved me for some reason. I texted my mom the thought and she responded, " A thought straight from their Creator. " So, so true. It made me teary, which is funny because Amelia came up here while I was writing this and said, "What are you doing mama?" I said, "I'm writing about you. About how much I love you. " She said, "You can cry about it." Oh my, where does she come up with this stuff?

Anyway, I just wanted to record this little breakthrough. I don't think I'll ever forget it, but I may need to be reminded of it a time or two along the way:)

Jen

5 comments:

Joel said...

Perfect. My chin is quivering.

ann.e said...

I have just such memories of both your little lovies :)

Robin said...

I had to come back to this post to finish reading it after retrieving a kleenex. I love the way you love and appreciate and see things. Teach me, please...

the schilps said...

teary right along with you, jen! i could not agree more with robin.
love you.

cRosenau said...

So that's what precious moments mean...blessed!