Friday, April 10, 2009

Sometimes you just have to cry. And then laugh.

So, last night I was so proud of myself for going to bed early. By 9:30 I was snuggled under the covers, excited to get a long nights rest. Fridays are always, always, the hardest day of the week for me and I wanted to be fully ready when it arrived. Of course, that did not happen!

At 10:45 I heard Amelia crying and went in to check on her. I was greeted by a horrific whiff of some awful smell that in my dazed sleepiness I thought was poo poo. So, I grabbed a diaper and wipes and brought her into our room. No poo poo. Then it dawned on me that the smell was throw up. Where was it? Not on her clothes, not on her face. No, it was her ear that was full of throw up along with her hair. Um, disgusting. I whisked her into the kitchen (I didn't want to use the tub because someone had pooped in it earlier and I had cleaned it but not as thoroughly as I wanted to before using it again) and laid her on the counter to wash her hair and ear in the sink. Then, I went into their room to get her dirty linens and of course, despite my pleas for her to be quiet so that brother didn't wake up, she immediately ran to his bed yelling, "Sambo! Sambo!" He sat up, completely disoriented and so I grabbed her linens, grabbed her and ran out of the room hoping he would go back to sleep. He did. I got the linens in the wash and brought Amelia back to bed with me, hoping (beyond all reason) that she would go to sleep in our bed. After 30 minutes of craziness I grabbed some blankets and took her back to her bed. When I opened the door Sam sat straight up and started wailing and was hysterical asking for me. Did he not ever go back to sleep?! I put Amelia in her bed, grabbed Sam and headed back to our room, hoping (beyond all reason) that he would go to bed in our room and not keep her up. I called Joel, who was having another late night charting session at work and told him to come home immediately:) Amelia was quiet, Sam was laying so still beside me, and for a moment I thought things were going to go uphill from there. Um, no. First, I caught Sam smiling to himself ad then he let out a big, happy squeal and then started rolling around, playing peekaboo with the covers, and on and on. Then, oh then, he started coughing and coughing and then BLAH BLAH BLAH, throw up all over our bed! I ran to the phone, crying, called Joel and said, "Where are you? Things are going crazy!" " I'm in the house." Oh. Once Joel was there, I seriously felt fine. I always feel like we can handle anything with we are together. Anyway, by the time we got everyone and everything cleaned up it was 12 and they were wound up. So, we just let them play. This picture was taken at 12:45 am.


Joel and I caught up on our days, the babes ran around in glee, and then at 1 we called it quits and they actually went to bed just fine.

All in a nights work, right mamas?

They are just waking up from a very long nap and so I'll go for now. They seem to feel fine, so I guess the throwing up was just from this lingering cough they both have! Jen

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Jen...so glad the night ended well. Vomit nights are the worst, and u had double trouble. Bless you my friend!

Sarah H said...

Oh man, throw-up is the worst! Glad they're better today.

Why is it that things always go crazy when you're planning/counting on going to bed early (or having a quiet bath by yourself or something)?? :)

Court said...

All in a night's work is right! Here's hoping that tonight will be a much better night...especially with their birthday tomorrow. Happy Birthday, Sam & Amelia. We sure are glad that you are here!

Sasa said...

Happy Birthday to my favorite twins! Love, Sasa

Unknown said...

Oh my. I can identify with you though. Every time I try to go to bed early something always happens. Usually at least one of mine, if not both, wake up or I can't fall asleep or the dog decides he has to make a middle of the night run outside. Always something. I have finally (after dealing with this for the last year or so) learned to just go with it. So glad you can laugh when it is all said and done. Laughter is truly the best medicine in these situations. And I also understand what you mean about feeling like the two of you can handle anything together...I always feel that way with my hubby as well when the boys are both having troubles...especially in the middle of the night! Hope your kiddos had a wonderful 2nd birthday! So many more fun adventures await you!!!!

Unknown said...

Jenny Ren, yes all in a nights work. The trouble i have had lately is when E stirs at 6 am, she signs Potty and thinks she shouldn't go in her diaper ! ah, what am i teaching this girl ! hehe. I guess I need to finish what i start!