Sunday, April 19, 2009

On the homemaking front: Part 3

Here, dear friends, is a little update on my journey in being the keeper of my home.

In the Kitchen:
So, menu planning took a nose dive during our last round of winter illness and is just now getting back up to speed. One thing that is working in the kitchen department is making this lentil bake often. It is filling and healthy and the babes love it as well. It has become a staple around here. The recipe is from the cookbook "More with Less".

Baked Lentils with Cheese.
Preheat oven to 375.
Combine in shallow 9x13 baking dish:
1 3/4 c. lentils, rinsed. 2 c water, 1 whole bay leaf , 2 t. salt, 1/4 t pepper, 1/8 t. each marjoram, sage, thyme. 2 large onions, chopped, 2 cloves garlic minced, 2 c. canned tomatoes.

Cover tightly and bake 30 min.
Uncover and stir in:
2 large carrots, sliced 1/8 " thick, 1/2 c. thinly sliced celery

Bake covered 40 minutes until vegetables are tender. Stir in:
1 green pepper, chopped. 2 T. finely chopped parsley.

Sprinkle on top:
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese (or less:)

House Cleaning:
I am happy to report that this area has continually been improving--praise the Lord! The Motivated Moms Chore List is still a great tool, though I can now mentally check off all of the daily chores and just use the chart to look at the extras for the day (I do not, I repeat, do not try to do all of the extras every day. They are like icing on he cake so to speak). I have a binder that holds my weekly chore lists, my current Bible study, and weekly plans for learning with Sam and Amelia. That binder is a lifesaver for me.

I am about ready to make another batch of cleaning supplies. Here is the link for everyone who asked where I found my recipes. For you die hard cleaners, I'm not sure how they will stack up to your favorite store bought cleaning supplies. They work fine for me, but what can I say, I am most certainly not a cleaning supply connoisseur. I am, however, thankful to be able to clean the tub and put the babes right into it without being worried that they will be exposed to toxins and such.

Atmosphere:
Besides having a more simplified and tidy home, I can't think of any new atmosphere projects that I have completed. Atmosphere making still kind of seems like a far off dream. Oh, but one day. Probably a day in July when my mama is here:)

I have to say, the biggest thing that has influenced my homemaking since the last post that I wrote has been my computer breaking. I swear it was a gift from God. Or maybe an admonition. I guess sometimes they are the same thing. Anyway, it may sound a bit melodramatic to say that it feels like I was in bondage to my computer, but it certainly felt like it. So, now I feel free. Free to actually put all of those things I was reading about online into practice!! Free to be more intentional during the babes nap time and after they go to sleep. You know, we have never had "TV" during our married life. It is a fact I used to be a bit prideful about until I realized I was at the point of wasting far more hours on the Internet looking at blogs and watching TV online than many, many, many people who have hundreds of cable channels. I have been humbled for sure. So, now I am able to use Joel's lap top when he gets home from work and on weekends, and truly, everyone in our family is benefiting from that.

You can see my first two posts about homemaking here and here

All for now,
Jen

1 comment:

MamaBear said...

I am right there with you on breaking the computer habit being a gift from God (though mine wasn't through my computer breaking). After so long of reading so many blogs and blogging about everything, I'm finally scaling back. I still think in blog posts, but I don't care if I they become real posts or not. It feels so good to have that self inflicted pressure off of me. My priorities are back on track. It was a STRONG addiction and I'm so thankful God took it away for me.

I need to look into that chore chart you mentioned. I like the idea of having leaning activities planned out too. I dream of being more organized, but am just not there yet. One thing at a time right?