Monday, February 04, 2008

It figures.

I remember when my mom-in-luv Shari sang the praises of Crock pots and told me "you just can't mess up a roast in the slow cooker." So, despite my numerous failings in the kitchen department, I gave it a whirl. I have news for you....you CAN mess up a pot roast in the slow cooker. Or at least, I can! It was soggy and disgusting and I haven't tried again since. See, that's my problem. I just don't try, try again when it comes to cooking. So, we live on take-out, cereal, pasta, yummy stew that Joel makes, and a few other staples. It is also why our babies have been eating mostly baby take-out (jars of baby food). "Oh, it's sooooo easy to make your own baby food Jenny. It is really fun, too, " they say. "Mmmm hmmmm". I say back and continue to search the shelves of Wild Oats for the most appealing combos of fruit and veggies.

Well, lately I have been having a change of heart. I mean I do cook a sweet potatoe occasionally and mash it up for them, or an avacado or some whole grains...what could be much harder about following a little recipe? It would be so much cheaper and healthier too. So, I whipped up a little brown rice/apple/pear concoction and was so excited to try it out on Sammy (Amelia was asleep). I did notice the rice was a bit hard and so I made sure to grind it up well. Then I got the video camera to document the first feeding of a homemade, wholesome little meal. If this went well, I might could join the, "Oh no, I make all of my baby's food. It is so cheap and healthy and really easy" club. Well, take a look folks(click on the picture to see the video). Looks like I won't be joining anytime soon:)
View this montage created at One True Media
Yum,yum!

9 comments:

the bakks said...

That was hilarious! Josie heard Sam on the video and started mimicking his gagging noises. :) Maybe she too, understands the good-ness of a sweet jar of earth's best. :)

Anonymous said...

Jenny: I was seriously laughing so hard! Two of my co-workers came over and we watched it like three times and just laughed. Oh- he is SO CUTE! Love him!
P.S. no need to worry about preparing a meal in a crockpot. I watched Get Gephardt last night and I guess several brands of slow cookers have used a lead based paint on the ceramic and it leeches into your food at levels over the FDA approval. Steer clear of slow cookers! They scare me now! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

What a face !!!! It must just be a new taste for Sam. I am sure he will love it when he gets used to it. heheheheh
P.S. I hope Joel does'nt make that face when you cook
Papa S - Joel Sr

Anonymous said...

That was to cute Jenny. love, anna

Jami said...

My question is "did you taste it first"? I mean, I know you have TWO babies, so maybe you think you have a "spare" one, but, for Heavens sake, do not feed that baby anything you would not eat yourself!

Anonymous said...

Hi guys,

That is so funny Ellie. Maybe Josie was having sympathy pains for Sam:)

Kelly, Come see us:)

Dad,I prevent Joel from making those faces by not cooking! Hee,hee

Hi Anna!

Jami,
Yes, I always taste it first. In fact, Joel thinks it is totally disgusting because no matter what it is our feedings always end up looking like, "Bite for sam, bite for Amelia, bite for me!" Joel's like "Why do you do that?!" I don't even think about it. Usually it is pretty good too. I mean it is just pureed adult food. Carrots? Yum. Sweet potato? Yum. Avacado? Double yum. Prunes? I even like that. Yogurt? Yes, please. Oats and squash? Sure. Brown rice, apples and pears? Well, I thought they were good. Although the texture of the rice was kinda weird. I think that is what elicited the response. Anywho, maybe next recipe will go over better. Quinoa and yogurt is on the menu for tonight. MMMMM, I'll take some of that for sure!

Anonymous said...

Sweet Jenny,
Maybe you should buy organic frozen veggies and cook them and make baby food. Jami, sorry I fed Blake lots of things I wouldn't eat myself. I did however love all baby food fruit and meat but those veggies needed some seasoning after one taste I was done. I never ate any of the cereal or tasted breast milk and I'm ok with that. Jenny, seriously that was the cutest video ever, I laughed so hard Kevin got on your blog to see what was so funny.
love ya'll lots and lots, b

the schilps said...

oh so funny! i kept laughing out loud at sam's little "ughh..." asher is the same. he holds his mouth open, avoiding any contact with the food, let alone allowing it to be swallowed. it just floats around his mouth, the whole time while he is drooling most of it out.
oh sweet sweet babes.
love you.
abbe

Anonymous said...

Well, that was pretty funny, Dude heard it too, and his ears perked up, and he was looking for Sam. That's hilarious...Bub