Tuesday, September 11, 2007

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood....

Fall, crisp air is suddenly upon us and we are loving it. More blankets at night, zip up jammies for the babes, cool walks where we can linger and not rush home before the harsh afternoon sun comes out, more hours on the porch swing and on back yard blankets....

Spending more time on the porch means more people watching...and, let me tell you, there are some interesting folks around here! Let's start with the ones I have met....there is a French Canadian family about 7 houses down that have the cutest 3 year old named Ava. She is as precocious as they come, confident and sassy and oh, so adorable when she speaks in French in her hurried tone. Ava came marching down the sidewalk the other day, alone, Kindermusic bag on her arm, on her way to the park! I managed to get her home by saying that we would go "surprise her mom"....boy was she surprised!

Then there is Karen around the corner who I know I will get along with so well. She is a bit older than me, a massage therapist, into all things natural (including natural parenting) , and I know she'll be a great resource...she already has been, she told me about the breastfeeding cafe!

There is cute little two year old Elinor and her mom whose name I forgot and her dad whose name I remember because it is Sam..they live two houses down and seem like a sweet family. Across from their house is a HUGE, old Victorian style house...beautiful and mysterious as it is hidden behind enormous trees on all sides. Elinor's mom said that it is a famous old Polygamous home that is now occupied by a couple of law offices. I was wondering as there is a constant stream of Hummers, Land Cruisers and other such vehicles coming and going and busy, businessy looking men and women walking to lunch, talking on cells, etc.

Then across the street from our house is a homely looking building that hosts a dentist office and a massage place. Let's just say that the massage place is a little.....fishy.

There are also lots of people test riding bikes from the bike shop half a block down....that is often humorous and gives me a chuckle. Then there are the homeless folks traveling to the park that isn't far....one rides a bycycle and wears all spandex, everyday. Saggy spandex if that is possible. There are many who look like they are walking to the bus stop, going to and from work. Now that the weather is better I am seeing more of the middle class folks, jogging, strolling their babies, riding their bikes...those that can choose when to walk instead of ride.

It's an interesting mix to say the least and I enjoy being a spectator here on this strret , sitting next two my sleeping babes, still in their zip up striped jammies....

oh wait! I forgot about our next door neighbor Shannon. That is really all I know about her as she doesn't seem too keen on getting to know us. Not that I blame her! In fact, I am sure she curses the day that we moved in with our TWO newborn babes. I can just imagine her coming home from work around 5:30 or 6 , ready to kick back and relax and then BAM! Meltdown hour begins. Oh, single Shannon...we are sorry for your loss of quiet. I saw you walk out the door yesterday looking great in your cute, black dress and sweater. Then I saw that you were carrying a tin lunchbox with a superhero girl on it.....I'm hoping that means you have a sense of humor and think it is so hysterical that there are two screaming babies living right next to your bedroom window!

Anyhow, that is the neighborhood folks......I think we fit right in:)

3 comments:

Shanyn Zink said...

Oh, Shannon! This is Shanyn, Jenny's Sister In Luv and BELIEVE ME you have a gold mine next door to you! Please take our namesake ("little wise one")seriously and make the most of your singleness by getting to know and love and give to my loves up there. ;)

Shanyn Zink said...

Oh, and I forgot to say I think that's extremely appropriate to describe the wonderful kaleidescope of people you live among and thrive with and drink FREEDOM with on this day - 9/11/07.

Tammy said...

What a fun neighborhood! We need to walk by your place sometime.

On another note, I have moved my blog to http://racewalkertammy.blogspot.com just in case you were wondering where it went to...

Tammy