Saturday, September 01, 2007

Evening....

I can tell that the babes are getting sleepy so I run to the kitchen to start the bath water. I fill the little tub and put it on the counter, grab the towels and diapers and sleepy clothes and turn on our baby mozart on the ipod. Amelia looks the most delirious so I take her and bathe her while Sam lays in the moses basket kicking and growing restless and loudly sucking on his binkie. I try and give Amelia my whole attention, massaging her chunky little legs and smiling with her until I can tell Sam is about to lose it...so I quickly wrap her, diaper her, dress her. Sammy is next while Amelia takes his place in the basket.....the sleepiness is escalating. As soon as Sam exits his relaxing "spa time" the cries erupt and I rush them into the bedroom to their no longer napping papa and ask him to swaddle them...he is the master swaddler. He swaddles them so tight they look like little glow worms and he lays them next to each other in the middle of the bed. Binkies are in, little eyes are fluttering. Joelie curls up beside Sam and I start to leave the room. "Stay", he says. "Stay for a while and snuggle. It's my favorite part of the day." So I do. I curl up beside Amelia who is fighting her sleepiness and look across the two babes and Joel and I look at each other with tired, smiling eyes. We start making "SHHHHH" sounds as I have read that babies like that, it sounds like the womb and helps them relax. Then I start to giggle because it must look so funny, this family sandwich with the mommy and daddy "SSSHHH" ing the babies to sleep. But slowly the little eyes, they start to close, and the binkies fall out and the little arms and legs stop moving and the mommy and daddy stop shhhing. And the Mozart music continues to play in the kitchen where the bath water is still warm and all is quiet. I glance at the clock and see that it is 7:15 and i sigh a happy sigh. Last night the babes were wide awake until 10 pm...we decided they thought it was time to party since it was Friday:) So, this evening, though there are a million and one things I could do...I think I'll go clean up from bath time, grab my book and go turn on my lamp and snuggle up to those three that I love most.

Happy weekend evening to you....jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny that just sounds so wonderful. Can you narrate my life like that and then maybe it will feel a little more relaxing and beautiful :) anna