Wednesday, May 02, 2007

When it rains....

So, Joel broke his hand yesterday. He was peddling his heart out to meet my mom and I at the house we'll probably be moving to in a month or so. He is so excited about the house (as am I) and was so ready to see the inside of it. Anyway, a garbage can got in his way, he tried to dodge it but his handlebar caught the side of it and he isn't sure exactly what happened next. This is what he looked like after a trip to the ER....

This picture looks much better than when we saw him for the first time (Although it kind of makes it look like he had to have a finger amputated. The rain isn't pouring that hard!).He was all dirty and bleeding and I almost cried my head off. Thankfully,I didn't. Anyway, it was a bad break and he has surgery scheduled for Tuesday! I'll let him fill you in on all of the medical details after he is rested. My main concern is for his heart. He is so sad because this means he can't do the babies cares (change their diapers, take temps,listen to heartbeats), take them out of their incubators and hand them to me, etc. It's going to be a hard for such a hands on Papa. He is in pretty good spirits, though, as we both know the accident could have been much worse. He hasn't had much pain yet and we are hoping that with the aid of painkillers that'll continue to be true.

One silver lining in the story is that because neither of us were able to go see the babies yesterday, the nurses bent the rules and let my mom hold Amelia! I was so excited for her. Here is a picture of the happy, happy Grammy holding her granddaughter for the first time...


That's all for now. We'll keep you updated:) Jen

8 comments:

Chris said...

Joel!! You need to be careful and take care of yourself..you mad man.
I love the photos of the babies, so sweet. You are in our prayers we love and miss you very much!!

Christy Michaels and EVERYONE at Calvary Chapel of the Springs!!

ashley said...

Your mom looks great holding Amelia!!

Ouch Joel...that looks painful!!

Praying for all of you!

Court said...

How neat that your mom was able to hold Amelia ~ what a treasured memory for her for sure!

Sorry to hear of your accident, Joel...that looks like it hurts! We'll be praying that the surgery goes well and that you heal really quickly. I know it will be hard to not be able to do everything with Sam & Amelia but thankfully it wasn't worse!

Can't wait to hear all about your new house.

Tammy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Joel. I feel so bad that we couldn't let you use our car for longer :( because maybe then this wouldn't have happened. Will keep you in our prayers even more now.

Jami said...

Two words:

ROAD RASH !

Anonymous said...

That's one great big beautiful smile, grammy!! I'm so tickled that you got to hold Amelia-thank the Lord Joel is ok!
Love you!

The Bittles said...

What are the odds of Dan & Joel both ending up in the ER within a month of us having babies? Do you think it is a subconsious cry for attention? Silly boys....

I'm glad Joel isn't in too much pain, maybe the nurses will contine to let your mom step in in Joel's stead temporarily...here's hoping.

Anonymous said...

owwwwww.

/kevin