Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Firsts, firsts, and more firsts

There are yet more firsts....I am sure there will be firsts nearly everyday from now on for a long time, but these just seem to be such perfect firsts.

Yesterday I bottle fed both babies for the first time. I am sure that someone somewhere has put into written word a description that at least comes close to describing how it feels to feed a baby (from a bottle since I am without the necessary equipment to do otherwise) for the first time. I have bottle fed babies before, a number of times, but feeding my own was like none other. The anticipation of hoping to see that day come when I could do such a thing made it even sweeter. They both drank all their bottle, or enough to be close to the whole bottle, and did great. It was like it was supposed to be, Sam was a little cranky and fussy until I put the bottle in his mouth and then he was in milk heaven, just laid there and drank away. Amelia rarely gets cranky, just lays there and looks around and moves her mouth around letting you know she's hungry, which is what she did and she too was very happy to drink in her attack-mode fashion. It was fun. They just lay there and drink, forget to breath, have to be reminded to breath, breath, and then get back to drinking. Pretty simple, yet has to be the most wonderful simple thing ever. They're getting to be real babies now, in size as well as developmentally. You can pick them right up out of their little crib and hold them and not feel like they're going to break. (Oh, Sammy ended his burping time with me by pooping on my leg, fortunately it all stayed inside his diaper. Guess he thought he'd break me in proper.)

We gave Same his first bath last night as well. He did great, just laid there and and enjoyed the warm bath. It's pretty fun too. My favorite part is right after the bath and picking their tiny little naked bodies up and wrapping them in a warm towel. They like it too I think. We got both the first baths on video to torment them when their friends and boy-/girlfriends come over. Can't wait.

I guess this technically classifies as a first but it's not something that they did per se. They are set for discharge probably sometime within the next 7-10 days, even as soon as this weekend. All we're waiting on is for them to take all their feeds by mouth for 2 days and still gain weight and then we're outta there!!! We still haven't moved yet so it will be cramped living for a couple weeks, but I'll gladly sleep outside with the alley cats if it means they get to come home. So, it won't be long and we'll be a real family! I can hardly believe it. There is a bit of apprehension because we won't have monitors telling us they need to be repositioned to help them breath better or nurses showing us how to do certain things, but somehow people have managed to figure it out for centuries now so my guess is that we'll do just fine. Plus, we just happen to have a very seasoned and excellent 3 time mom staying with us who is more than happy to show us the way.

4 comments:

Court said...

Wonderful news! So glad to hear how well Amelia & Sam are doing and that they'll be able to come home soon! Couldn't be more excited for you guys. We're praying!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news. I can't wait until they get to come home. I am just thrilled that it could be so soon. Yall are just going to have so much fun. What a long awaited time. And it is almost here. You guys have been such troopers I am so proud of you both. Love ya , anna

The Bittles said...

Beautiful! Your little ones get cuter by the day; Millie is certainly a little princess in her pink outfit and Sam has a look of quiet determination that is only fitting of a first born son. I simply can't wait to meet them and hold them! Keep up the good work with feeding. It seems like you're feeding them rich "milkshakes" as my friend likes to put it - none of this 1% stuff!
Talk to you soon, Love Kristi

Anonymous said...

Happy! Happy! Happy! Can't wait for you guys to get home. How God loves us! Stay blessed.

U.B.

Kaneohe