Friday, May 25, 2007

I'm Back

I'm back from the Land of the One Handed. Well, kind of. I still do not have full function of my hand yet, it's very stiff and kind of painful to try and do much with it, although I did manage to get in a couple of rectal exams today at the prison, so I'm not too bad off. Way better than that though, I got to hold Sam & Amelia today for the first time with a more normal functioning hand. It's wonderful. They're wonderful! I did their cares tonight (checked temps and changed diapers, which Sam almost made me throw up it was so bad, I had to find a trash can because I thought I was seriously going to loose my dinner) and picked out and dressed Amelia for my first time ever. I chose a little pink outfit (it has some special name that only girls know) with a white, Victorian-era style, frilly collar, I must say it looked very cute. It's great when they wear those one piece outfits because then that way I can't mess up the color coordinating thing; perfect! I put an over sized pink beenie on her and wrapped her as snug as a bug in rug and she looked absolutely beautiful. Seriously, she is actually a very pretty baby. This may sound like I am bragging, and I may be, but I didn't even know babies could actually be truly pretty. Amelia is. Can't wait for you to see with your own eyes and see what you think.

I hung out with Sam quite a bit and dressed him, back into what he was wearing when I got there. Boys don't mind wearing the same thing twice, at least that's what they tell me. He's so funny, such a little dude. He squirms and makes funny faces and is always concerned about something. He's building a larger repertoire of faces these days, they range from a look of abject horror to somebody told a funny joke to being a cute little guy snuggled up in his blankie. When they're wrapped up they look just like Glow Worms, those toys in the 80's that were little worms wrapped in a blanket and their heads glowed when you pressed on them. Well, Sam and Amelia's heads glow too, but you don't have to push on them. Anyway, he looked exactly like one tonight because he was wearing a bright yellow beenie that made him glow even more.

They are both doing very well; very, very well. They're on their way to getting out of there and being set free of monitors and wires and beeps. They just need to get their eating down and then that should about do it. Sam is still having a little bit of a hard time breathing, matter of fact when Jenny was feeding them this afternoon they both went blue on her, they kind of stopped breathing. Not a terrible thing but certainly scary for a momma. So she took the night off to recuperate from the afternoons' events, which is totally understandable. When I was holding Sammy while he was getting fed tonight through his tube he turned blue too, but we got him pink again pretty quick. It's those little things that are still out there that need to go away before they can come home, but I don't think it will be very long. Tonight Sam weighed 4lbs. 7ozs. and Amelia weighed 4lbs. 10ozs. So they are not having trouble gaining weight at all, that's really good news. Oh yeah, and Amelia has her nasal cannula out breathing straight, regular, good ol' fashioned room air, just like the rest of us, and she's doing great! Like I've been saying, they're doing wonderfully, they just need to mature a little more and then they'll be ready to come live at home where they belong. I simply cannot wait.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

It is so good to hear a great report on your hand AND the babies!! We pray that they will be able to go home very soon!
Love and prayers,
Puddin'

Anonymous said...

Great! I'm so happy everything is going well with your hand. It is wonderful to hear about you and the babies. I know you are glad to be back. love ya,b

Court said...

It's so great to hear how well Sam & Amelia are doing! I know it was nice for you to be able to spend time with them and do their cares. Wonderful news of their weight gain. We continue to pray for their breastfeeding and continued well being. Love you guys!