Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mud Pie Kitchens...


Sam and Amelia have been inspiring me so much with their play lately. Their complete and total absorption with the present. No thought of the past, nor the future, just the now. It is the gift of childhood, I guess.

The Mama bird finding worms for her babies, the train track that is built and adjusted and rebuilt, the towers built and knocked down and built again, the soup fixed for an injured animal, the construction projects in the sand box. It is their world, and I stand in wonder of it.

For a while I have been wanting to make an outdoor kitchen space for them. I brought some muffin tins out to the sand box a while back and together with their friend Vera, they made some great "mud muffins" and had wonderful birthday celebrations with them:) Then I saw some mud pie kitchens on Rhythm of the Home that were inspiring, and then found this jewel of a post that pushed me to really get started (this whole blog makes my jaw drop with inspiration and a wee bit of envy:)!

So I started! Just a tree stump and a tub and a crate so far, but it was plenty to get their imaginations whirling. Sammy and JJ were so busy making creation after creation. Amelia made a "gum cake" and then just watched the guys:)



More on their wonderful world of play soon, Jen

2 comments:

ann.e said...

fun!!! those kitchens on that blog are absolutely amazing holy cow, I'm way jealous too :)

erin said...

This is SO great Jenny! I love it. I am almost done with our mudpie kitchen, thanks to that post you sent me.
:-) I love that gift of childhood that you are talking about. I love watching them take a spoon and stir like crazy in an empty bowl, or give me a bowl of "soup" stuffed with socks, bean bags, and other randomness.