Friday, August 06, 2010

Confessions of a yard sale junkie: Homeschool resources edition.

Man, I have many posts I could write about yard sale/ thrift finds of late. I must narrow my thoughts though, because lately I have so much I want to write about that I don't write about anything (except for potty training, which has been pretty much a breeze with Sam!). So, without further ado, here is a yard sale memory I didn't want to forget:)

I was out early a couple of weeks ago and took a break to look on Craigslist to see if any new yard sales had been posted. I saw a new one that said something about being a retired teacher and having lots of educational materials. Ding, ding! I was right in the area and zoomed over. The lady, Gisela, was so kind and was from Germany and i knew it was going to be good (I am telling you, Germans and Europeans in general, have the best yard sales!). She had wonderful, quality children's books, educational games, lots of laminated pictures and posters, and most everything was about nature! Um, I was in heaven. She asked if I was a teacher and I said that, yes, I was planning on teaching my children at home (though they are going to be in pre-school two mornings a week in the fall, but more on that later:).I could tell she was a bit disappointed, as she had imagined her all of her hard work and meticulous lessons going on to another classroom (plus I think she was a bit skeptical about home schooling. Isn't it still illegal in Germany?), but she soon warmed up and was eager to help me come up with ideas on how to use her fabulous materials with Sam and Amelia and our friends.

Here is a sampling of what I purchased. Everything, including some beautiful posters and lots more books and games, was $25. One of my favorite yard sales of all time.


This is one of many,many laminated pictures. Most have descriptions of the pictures cut out and glued to the back of the picture. So meticulous, I tell you. I am going to put a bunch around Sammy's bed, as he just can't get enough of them and a some downstairs in the play/school room.

This Smithsonian's Backyard series is great. We have several that I have found at thrift stores and the babes just love them. I wouldn't pay full price for them, but keep your eyes open when you're thrifting (I think we are up to five now, all from thrift stores and yard sales)!

These little sets of cards (and there are several more sets) are so great and I have lots of ideas for them. They have been matching them, and later they can sort them, and practice drawing them, sooo many uses! Tonight they just spread them all out and oohed and awed over them, "Looook Dad, it's a sea otter!"

So many wonderful, useful treasures! I'm thankful. Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.