Thursday, August 26, 2010

Art in the park...





Yesterday was one of those days. Amelia was running fever and weepy and whiney and clingy. Sam did not know what to do without his playmate and was literally bouncing off the walls wanting someone to play with him, namely me. Are you ready for this? Yesterday I actually had the thought, "How do mamas do it without twins?" I am telling you, a glimpse of what it might be like to have one pre-schooler without a playmate made me ultra thankful for their twinness:) All of the hard work and challenges of having two babies is now completely worth it to have two best friend playmates.
Anyway, their neediness just made me shut down. Or I should say, I let it shut me down. I had zero energy or motivation to do anything. "Don't you guys want to watch Kipper again? What? You're hungry? Go get that box of cheerios." Yep, it wasn't pretty.
So, as I was laying it bed last night I vowed to myself that I would not let today be like yesterday.

And it hasn't been. At all. Funny how much power we have over the tone of our days. Amelia still isn't feeling hot. Sam still needed to get some energy out. On this day though, we packed up and went to City Creek park, just a five minute drive from the house. We brought our watercolors and the babes painted and I read and then we read some books together and then went on a little "venture". There was still some whining and clinginess, but there was mostly laughing and walking and talking and fun. We came home and ate lunch and now they're playing in their room for quiet time (Joel doesn't get home until 11ish on Thursdays so I purposefully keep them from taking a nap so they will have a very early bedtime:). I just heard Sam yell, "Mom, I'm having an accident! Mom, I'm having an accident!" So, I jumped up and sprinted in there and said, "Sammy, run to the potty!" He looked up calmly with a little dog in his hand and said, "It's the baby dog talking to his mama." Oh, right. Anyway, all is right in our little world again. Thank the Lord. Hoping next time we hit a bump, I'll choose to set a better tone for our day because it is so much better for us all! Jen

2 comments:

cRosenau said...

I once related my melt down kind of day to a godly sister whom I like to refer to as "Princess Darlene". I told her that I'd totally failed as a Christian witness. She told me I did not. She said that my turning around and not saying anything to a person who I thought deserved it was a success. God allows these situations in our life and when, in hindsight, we think of ways we could have done it better then we are better prepared the next time. And we do handle things better and better. We are in essence "working out our salvation." God knew we would need some "practice" on our way to becoming His "spotless bride." Congratulations for learning a great lesson and having fun in your new motivation. Blessings!

capturing said...

I love how you turn things around when they are feeling yucky, how you shift your attitude, it always reminds me to check on mine too! ( and I am about to lay blog catch up here, so watch out for the strew of comments!)