Monday, August 16, 2010

It isn't always glamorous.

Maybe I should rephrase this and ask, "Is it ever glamorous?" Motherhood that is. Well, my morning certainly was not, and I just want to write down all of these events that happened this morning to remember how funny and gross and decidedly not glamorous motherhood can be.

Let's start with last night. We all just piled in our bed to go to sleep after the babes got home with Joel from a late night out (on a hiking trip that included sightings of a raccoon, two moose, squirrels, and salamanders! ) I was soooo sleepy after a long sunny day manning our yard sale. Anyway, I was drifting off and Amelia says, "Jesus died." "Oh gosh," I think to myself, "I should take this opportunity to expound on why Jesus died." I started saying, "Yes, Jesus did die. It's complicated, but he is alive now and lives in heaven...." but Sam interrupted with, "Jesus died and Johnny Cash died too." Amelia piped up with, "Yes, Johnny Cash died and now he can't talk." Their conversation continued and then we had to tell them to stop kicking each other and that was the end of that.

Then, there was this morning. More throw up in the bed from Amelia (she only does this at night and we can't figure out why). Yay! I take a shower, get out and go out to get started on some laundry before the babes woke up. I went into the guest room and as I was walking through the doorway I stepped in more throw up- yay! I still haven't figured out why she was in the guest room in the middle of the night. Maybe Joel knows. After thoroughly washing my foot and the carpet, I went to get some clothes out of the dryer. The clothes included some shorts that Sam had pooped in. As I pulled the laundry out I could swear that I smelled poop on the clothes. "It's just your imagination", I thought, "you rinsed out the shorts lots before putting them in the wash". So, I chalked it up to my imagination and slipped a shirt on and folded the rest. Yes, I did.

Babes woke up, got everyone dressed and fed and in the van (borrowed from our friends who our out of town. I love it. It just feels right to drive a mini-van. It feels like a work vehicle.) Anyway, the van was full of donations leftover from our yard sale to take to Goodwill. Proceed to Goodwill while singing "Five little ducks went out to play, over the hill and far away..." with Raffi at the top of our lungs.

Drop off boxes and proceed to home of "Jen", a craigslister who I was buying a toddler/twin bed for for Sam to match Amelia's! Yay! I have always wanted matching beds for their room and will eventually need the crib when our babe comes home. She and I manage to wrangle the bed in the van and tie the back door closed with a really thick shoelace. I hope we don't have a major accident on the way home. I also hope she can't smell my poopy smelling shirt. Thankfully we made it home with no incidence.

Promised kids we would go to Chick-fil-a today, which is a good thing because we have no groceries and I don't feel up to going to the store (I'm spoiled because Joel does almost all of the grocery shopping). We head back out. We walk into Chik-fil-A and order and then sit down. Amelia proceeds to ask me if God has a scrotum.
"Did you just ask if God has a scrotum?"
"Yes".
"Um, I don't think so Amelia. God doesn't have a body like ours. I think I better go get some napkins."

The big cow comes to our table and Sam's complete surprise and awe when he looks up and sees him makes me teary.

While eating ice cream Sam tells me that "ice cream is like winter." I deem the statement brilliant and give him a big hug.

We go to the play area. A dad comes over and sits next to me and immediately declares that "it stinks in here." I am now 100% sure my shirt smells like poo and shuffle the kids out as quickly as possible. Sam pees in the little potty I brought in the van and we drive home, with me hoping the pee doesn't slosh out in our friend's van (Stephanie, if you ever read this, it did not slosh out!). We sing "Shake, shake, shake our sillies out..."with Raffi at the top of our lungs to keep the babes awake until we get home.

We get home with them awake. Success!

I retrieve all of the folded clothes from dressers, take off my shirt, put them all back in the washer on a two hour sanitary cycle with an extra rinse and put the kids down for a nap.

Now I am off to take another shower and get some beans out of the freezer to defrost and make some cornbread for dinner. Oh, and then wash our throwupy sheets and Sam's new sheets.

Such is the funny, gross, unglamorous life of this mama--and I honestly wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

8 comments:

Court said...

definitely not glamourous...but this momma sure did get a good laugh out of it :)

Unknown said...

LOL what a day! Oh please tell me when u figure out the recipe for glamour! I tried following fly ladies advice about getting dressed every morning and I slowly ended up back in my husbands teeshirts. Im still working on it. I am so excited to hear about your new addition and I am looking forward to the updates!

capturing said...

This is definitely how it goes one more day than not for us. And I love it too :) It doesn't take good smelling shirts to be a good momma ;) You are so great!

capturing said...

on*

erin said...

I feel the exact same way. A friend told me the other day, "don't worry, it passes quickly" and all I could think is "its passing way too quickly". Your day gave me such a good laugh of a day in the life of a mama, cause I can so relate. I don't change my shirt unless its majorly stained, and Camille right now is singing "Jesus is the bible", which I don't even know how to begin to explain all about that to her. Thanks for sharing! :-)

the schilps said...

ooohhh my gosh, jenny! this made me laugh out loud. i needed that.
love you!

the schilps said...

ooohhh my gosh, jenny! this made me laugh out loud. i needed that.
love you!

Anonymous said...

awwesome -Bub