Friday, January 16, 2009

On the homemaking front: Part 2

Here's a little update on how things are shaping up around here:

In the kitchen: Things are going okay in the meal planning/cooking department (minus my latest sick days which I cooked absolutely nothing.) I made a meat and potato quiche from More with Less and thought it was great. The babes enjoyed it as well. It would have been a great breakfast dish. Let's see, another new one I tried was this Oatbar recipe from my Waldorf Kindergarten Snack Book. Hmm, it didn't make bars. At all. It basically made granola, which we have enjoyed but was not what I was aiming for. Anyone want to make it and let me know how yours turns out?




House cleaning: I am armed with some new tools. First of all, my Motivated Mom's Chore chart. Sounds super dorky right? Yep, it probably is. But I like checking little boxes off and this one has it all laid out for me, week by week. You can see a sample page of the planner that I purchased here. You can purchase your own here. So far, it is working fabulously. If I have a crazy day, I just do as many of the tasks as I can and don't worry about the rest. Baby steps! I'll keep you updated.
The other thing I've done is make a fresh batch of cleaning products. I used pepperment essential oil for my scent and it smells oh, so good after I clean. Love it! You can find the recipes I used here.
I think cleaning will always be a big effort for me. I am not naturally geared towards cleaning (ahem, to say the least). I know it's worth the effort, though, and so onwards we go.

Atmosphere: The only atmosphere type projects I have done are hanging a bit more art at the babes level. Here is one of the postcards that I framed for them. I also make a real effort to keep the toys that I keep out for them to play with is kept to a minimum. We don't have a play room and my desire is for the house to be, hmm, a bit seamless. Flowing. Something. Not cluttered with toys that they aren't playing with. This is also why we try to stay with mostly wooden toys that are beautiful in their eyes, and ours:)


I guess that's all my homemaking news to report:) I am reading lots of encouraging things about homemaking and that always makes a big difference in my attitude. I'm reading Mission of Motherhood with some friends and that is talking a lot about being the keeper of your home, as well as some encouraging blogs, etc.

________________________________

In other (much more important) news, Robin is home safe and sound. I have so many thoughts whirling around in my head after yesterday. I'll wait and try to collect them and then articulate later. For now, I am just so thankful that everyone is miraculously okay!

_______________________________

All for now as I'm off to check some boxes:),
Jen

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi Jenny,

How sweet to get a comment from you...I love checking in on your adorable babies and hearing all of your inspiring thoughts, especially about homemaking and the ways you keep those babies happy! Thank you for sharing your thoughts--even for those of us who don't actually "know" you. (-:

God bless you in your mothering journey, Elizabeth

Sarah H said...

Um, thank goodness for the super dorky Motivated Moms. I started it a few weeks ago, and things are slowly improving around here (though don't ask me if I checked off ANY boxes today...)

I recently found a "traditional foods" menu mailer that I'm thinking about trying out. I just can't seem to find time for meal planning these days, let alone planning HEALTHY meals.

Your "granola" looks tasty. :)

Esther said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just bought my own copy of the Motivated Mom's list. I so needed something like this. My house will be cleaner and more organized, thanks to you! ;-)

ann.e said...

i think you're doing fantastically on the atmosphere front! i love your living room and all the little nooks they have to play in. no matter they seem to run together - by the end of our time there at least :) i mean didn't you see how upset vera was that we didn't go inside today??

i'm going to start chapter 2 tonight and may have some comments to share...