Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Observations...

While my students were doing group work today I was sitting at my desk looking at them and was just overwhelmed by their uniqueness. I think that's what I love most about teaching. Getting to observe so closely a group of people, and in this case, a group of very diverse international people. Here are some observations I made today while watching them...

"Pop" is a lithe young man from Thailand. Today he's wearing jeans and white socks (his shoes having been discarded under his desk.) He has a plain white tee shirt and a scarf wrapped dramatically around his neck. This is so illustrative of Pop. Understated with a bit of flair. I'll miss his bright questions and his huge smile that rarely shows itself, but is a treasure when it does.

"Angie" is a tiny girl from Korea. Today she's wearing a blue sweatshirt with jeans and pigtails. She has on a beige stocking cap with a blue polo bear that matches her sweatshirt. Angie always matches. She has rectangle glasses, bright eyes and the cutest smile. She is quiet and shy and very articulate.

Pop just tied his scarf around his head:)

Julian looks very dapper in a black corduroy coat today. His hair is always perfectly gelled and he is so clean cut. Tall and thin. Dark and handsome. His Columbian accent is often difficult for me to understand, which is a shame because he is so eager to share his thoughts and participate in class. Though I love my Asian students, it is always a joy to have a little Latin in the mix.

I could go on and on. Marcela who types all of her homework, studies so diligently, has a great sense of humor, and is always reading books about marriage as she is a newlywed of three weeks:)

I find great joy in them, and I realize that sometimes it gets lost in the monotony of lesson planning, grading, trying to get the lab computers to work, etc. I don't want to forget the gift it was to teach ESL these past couple of years. I have yearned to be a momma for so long and yet God has blessed me greatly through these students and today was just a real reminder of that.

Indeed, some of this may be my pregnancy hormones kicking in to full gear. After all, I did find myself turning on the A/C in the classroom again today and standing in front of it airing myself out until a student said, "Teacher, it's snowing outside and you are hot?!" Yes, yes I am:)

Feeling more and more pregnant by the day. Well, I guess I mean that I'm looking for and more pregnant by the day. I'm feeling great. A little slower moving some days, but good. Sorry that I don't have an updated picture this week. I'll try and get one soon.


Guess that's all for now, it's time for my nightly reading time. After a visit to the library I now have 12 books about pregnancy and babies that wait for me at night. Of course, I had to add twins books to the mix...oh my. Last night I made the mistake of watching 24 before I went to sleep....WOW. Scary,scary dreams. Tonght it will be reading only! Love to all, Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jenny--Do NOT get your unborn babies tuned in to 24. You know how quickly one becomes addicted to that particular program. If, somehow, from inside the womb they start hearing all the explosions, gun shots, and JB's whispering "You just have to trust me," they'll never want to come out! I am soooooo excited for you and Joel becoming parents, but you want calm, easy-going little ones since there will be two. Leave the 24 watching to me--I'm already wired to it, thanks to YOU!
Love reading your blogs. Miss seeing you so much. I work 15 hrs. a week at the library shelving, and love it. God is so good to allow me to have this part-time job. Haven't missed working for "you know who" for one second.
Take care, and tell Joel your Seguin friend who never shuts up said hello. Love you, Judye

anna said...

thanks for the update jenny can't wait to see the new picture.. love anna

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the new picture either!!!!!!!!!!