Monday, January 15, 2007

Oh Jo...

Oh Josephine March, why oh why do you always choose the professor? I don't know how many times I have read Little Women, but every time my pillow is wet from tears when dear Laurie proposes and Jo does not accept. Then when he comes home from Europe with Amy as his wife...oh dear...and I won't even start with the tears shed on Beth's behalf. I guess that's the thing about a book...it is just so final. Jo will never choose Laurie, no matter how much I will her to:)

It makes me thankful for my Laurie...that I didn't miss out on the one who is so much of me. Though I guess Joel might be half Laurie, half Friedrich. He is wild and fun and free like Laurie, and yet he has the stability and wisdom of good ol' Friedrich. I'm thankful for both the adventuring poet and the steady hand.

That is why I hear his worries and fear about parenthood, and many of them I echo in my own heart about being a mom, and yet my heart is not burdened at all about them. The thought of seeing Joel as a Papa is one that has always brought my heart such joy. Hearing his observations of families and fathers over the years has shown me how much thought he has put into this most important of roles. From a young age he has been processing and planning the kind of father he hopes to be. I think of the way he studies and knows my heart and know what a blessing that will be to our children. He will take the time to know them and observe them and encourage their strengths. He will take them on adventures and find much of his joy in theirs. Most of all, I know that our little home will be a home full of laughter. Our kids will get to experience a dad who finds such joy in each day and who will find such joy in them. And though I know we will both make millions of mistakes, they will have a dad who is looking to the Lord for his wisdom, and that gives me the most hope of all.

So, my love who is my Laurie and my Friedrich, I look so forward to walking this new journey with you. We'll just take one step at a time. Together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll Amen to that last statement! I have loved reading Your last two entries. Thank you, Joel, for letting us see your heart. I love you both and can't wait to see you as parents.