Sunday, August 27, 2006

"Your Whalecome"

First let me say thanks to Joelie for that sweetest post ever (see below)... more importantly, though, is how he lives out those words. This weekend I have been sick...again! Fever, chills, body ache, the whole works. Well, let me just say that Joel has become the greatest taker carer ever when I'm sick and it makes me feel so loved. I say he "has become" because when we first got married...um, not so much. See, I grew up with mom who made being sick as wonderful an experience as it could possibly be. Out came the sprite, the soup, cold wash rags, a soft bed of blankets on the floor or couch, and lots of movies. Also her soft words of encouragement and empathy that go a long way in healing! I remember when I was a young teenager and mom and dad were out of town and we were staying with some friends. Well, I got sick and expected, you know, that every mom was like my mom in that area. Apparently not. Though I love this woman dearly, I was told I could go upstairs and lie down and given a bottle of aspirin, a glass of water, and a pot in case I threw up! I felt like I was experiencing abuse or something...this is how people lived?!?!? A little dramatic, I know, but that's just me:)
Yes, so when Joel and I got married he was more than a little taken aback on my expectations for care when I didn't feel well. I, on the other hand, couldn't believe that all he wanted was to be left alone to endure his illness! Well, over this seven years we have finally adjusted and even now as I'm writing I have my fresh glass of O.J. , crackers, and two new blankets all brought in recently by my Joelie. I am also known to be a bit weepy and sentimental when not feeling like myself and last night he endured a pretty weepy conversation that actually really cracks me up now that I'm thinking about it. At the moment though, it is very important for him to understand the point I am trying to make, incoherent as it may be. He listened to my weepy monologue so seriously and then laid down beside me and just held me for a while. Oh, the ways we have to learn to love each other!
So, that's what has been happening in our home the past few days. Last week was a blur of waking up WAY too early, feeling like my classes were flying by way to quickly during the day, coming home for a brief time with Joel and then lesson planning until bedtime. This next seven weeks is going to be nutty. Good for me, though, as I can really underschedule and not use my time wisely. So, if I'm not posting as much, you'll know why.
Oh, I wanted to tell you all about this sweet Thai man who works at our favorite Thai place down the street. One of the reasons we go there is because we love the way he says, " You're Whalecome". Really, he pronounces it just like this and with such sweet sincerity and says it probably 20 times a visit. So this whole time that I've been sick and Joel will do something for me I'll say, "Thanks so much" or whatever and he'll do a little bow and say "You're Whalecome". It makes us laugh and I thought it might make you smile too:) Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joel Hunt, thank you for taking such good care of Jenny. That blesses your mother-in-law more than you can know. If I'm ever there when you are sick I will make you a soft pallet, fix you some soup and put some cartoons on for you. Seriously,thank you for being so sweet. Take care now and watch for deer!!!

Anonymous said...

Sharon said,
Jenny, I do hope you are feeling better by now. Isn't it wonderful to have such a loving husband to take care of you when your under the weather. I have the same privilege. We are both blessed by wonderful Christian men as our husbands and friends. Take care.

anna said...

sorry you have been sick jenny...I know what you mean though..I am also totaly spoiled with a great loving mom..sick is so much better when they are there..but sounds like joel is good too..keep up the good work joel..