Sunday, August 20, 2006

Calm before the storm...

So I'm sitting here in bed drinking a cup of tea.It feels funny to sit here and do nothing as I know tomorrow that will all change. I'll be teaching three classes at the English Language Institute for the next 8 weeks, starting with High Intermediate Grammar at 8:30 am!! So these past few weeks of Texas fun and road trips has really been such a calm before the storm. Joelie starts back to school on Wednesday and so that'll be kinda hectic as well. Good though in some ways. It'll be fun to be back in the classroom, good to get in a routine again, good to know Joel will be getting started on his last two years in school.

I'm also up a bit late as I didn't wake up this morning, ahem,afternoon until 12:30!So, I'll probably be up very, very late tonight.I might even get my second Texas post done tonight to post tomorrow. I just can't sleep when Joel's not here and so i didn't fall asleep until almost 4. Part of that is me being a big night time scaredy. I have a very long history of it.I think it must come from an over active imagination. I used to wake up in the middle of the night in Hockley and just freeze I was so scared of the noises I would hear. I created all kinds of elaborate situations in my head as to what could be coming to get me.So either I would work up the courage to yell out, Moooooom and Daaaaaaaad!" or jump out of the bed and high tail it to theirs.Then there was the first night I convinced them to leave me home alone and I got so scared that I put all of the dolls I could find in front of the windows to make it look like people were home. Then I was too scared to go into the back of the house to go to the bathroom and so I peed in a pot in the kitchen. Yes I did. Oh, the stories go on and on.
So, last night was no exception. I turned the swamp cooler and bedroom fan off so that I could hear any burglars that might decide to come in. I kept the kitchen light on and the bedroom door open so that if someone did come in I could....throw all the ESL curriculum stacked on my bedside table at them?!?! So, I was really hot with no air circulating and so I slept on top of the covers....yep, it was a miserable night! Our poor children, it will most assuredly run in the family. I remember one night in Hawaii I was laying in bed going to sleep and Joel was in the living room studying. All of the sudden I heard the thump of his chair fall over and him sprinting into the bedroom. I swear he jumped from the doorway of the bedroom into the bed and pulled the covers over our head. "What happened?!!!" " I don't know, I just got really freaked out all of the sudden!" I tried to be compassionate for a second and then we both burst out laughing. Our poor kids won't have a chance. Well, at least if we co-sleep with our kids than when one of us gets spooked we'll already be together:)
That's all for tonight, Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great! I just read this while preparing for the week ahead ALONE! The difference being, I will turn on the fan so I don't hear any strange noises even if there are some. Those were some funny stories. I hope I don't have any to add to them!

anna said...

hey jenny..man that is early to teach a grammar class..8:30am..will your brain be working???as far as the scared thing goes when you have kids it wont be as bad because you will have this mommy protecting power that flows though you and you know that you could take on anything and win:)