Sunday, October 18, 2009

Things I am loving and things that I don't like at all.

Things I am loving:
1. Fall. Seriously in love with these perfect weather, changing leaves, lay on a blanket in the cool, sunshiney afternoons kinda days. It is the perfect season for our little explorers:


2. Being with family. Getting to know baby Isaac, having a bustling house with people coming and going, it has been wonderful. Crazy, but wonderful.

3. Having a bathroom in our room. I took a long shower this morning without toddlers peaking in or asking me for something or whining for my presence. I simply locked the bathroom door. Ahhhhh.

4. The babes expanding vocabularies. They were playing with worms (again) yesterday and Sammy said to Joel, "Look at my little buddy! He's my little buddy!" While hiking in the mountains the other day, Joel and Amelia were going up a pretty steep hill. He must have looked worried because she said, "I trust you daddy." WHat?!?!?!? I don't remember ever talking about trust other than singing "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus" but apparently she heard it and adopted it into her being. Sweetest thing ever. Other great phrases heard lately are, "What's happenin?" "What ya doin?" and many. many more.

5. The little park right down the street. It isn't big but it has plenty to occupy the babes for a long time and is literally a two minute walk. My friend Stephanie takes her little ones there almost every afternoon and we chat while pushing swings and kissing boo boos and laughing at antics. Living life along side others is essential for me I am finding. And so I am thankful to live right by a friend and right by a little park:)

6. Craigslist. I bought white, wooden indoor shutters for our living room, dining room, our bedroom and two hall windows for less that it would cost for ONE pair of shutters retail. So awesome!

Things I do not like at all.


1. Testing, testing, one two three. It seems the babes are testing every single limit and boundry they have ever known to make sure it still applies at the new house. It is hard to find the balance of grace and empathy (new house, family in town, etc. etc. ) while providing the structure and boundries that I know they are (literally) crying out for. God give us wisdom and strength!

2. Not being able to walk to the grocery store. I really do miss that.

3. We have fallen out of rhythem. Obviously I expected that the move would rattle our daily life for a while, but things still feel disoriented and I know the babes do as well. I am ready to find our new routine and dread that right when we do, it will be time for our winter trip to Texas. Ah well, such is life.

4. Our friend Dali is moving to South Dakota this week. Oh how I will miss her and her companionship and her love for the babes. She has taught me so much. She and her family (refugees from Eritrea/Ethiopia) have awakened my heart to the harsh reality that millions live in throughout the world. It was a painful but good awakening.

I guess that's all for now. Joelie and I are spending time out together today and we are ready to move on from the coffee shop to the outdoors. Hope you all are well, Jen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am loving hearing about the things you are loving... sorry about the things you don't like at all. :(
I love the new phrases the babes are coming up with. Amazing how they do that.
Your busy house sounded like lots of fun. I know you are going to so miss the Hunt family and Zink family.
It was so good talking to you today. I ache with missing you. One of the things I don't like at all...
Love,
Mom

the schilps said...

i so resonated with this one, jenny! i, too, am LOVING the fall. all the brilliance in color and fresh smelling breezes. and, resonated with the things you aren't liking so much as well. it made me feel so much better the other night, after listening to asher scream and cry and refuse to obey, another child doing the exact same thing 10 minutes later. a season, yes. much patience, yes. God's abounding grace when we don't have it, yes!!
love you.
abbe