Monday, October 12, 2009

Simply In Season...

After reading several books about eating locally, seasonally,etc. I bought a cookbook called, "Simply in Season" that I just love. It breaks the recipes into seasons and that helps me so much! My first recipe that I made is called "Autumn Vegetable Soup" and I thought I'd post the recipe here. MMMMMMmmmmmm.

Autumn Vegetable Soup
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
In soup pot saute onion in 1 T olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.

1/2 cup each kale, cabbage, carrots, red or green sweet pepper (chopped)
1/2 teaspoon each salt, dried basil, dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Add and saute a little, then turn heat down to low, cover pan, and let cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2 cups bean cooking liquid or vegetable broth
1 cup tomato juice
3/4 cup cooked beans
1/2 cup corn
2 teas. dried instant barley
2 teaspoons orzo
1 1/2 TBLS red cooking wine
Add and bring to a gentle boil and simmer about 15 minutes.

1/2 cup tomatoes (chopped)
1 TBLS fresh parsley
Add tomatoes and parsley, simmer another few minutes.


Here are some Fall pictures to go along with it:)



3 comments:

ann.e said...

I want to make this! Did S&A like it??

I love all your pictures - especially the big family one! you captured perfectly all the fall colors and everyone looks so happy :) Mill Creek?

Jenny said...

Hi Anne:) So, we actually ran out of the soup before it was time for them to eat, so they didn't get to try it this time around!
Yep, Mill Creek. I love that place so much. Sam just comes alive when we get out in the mountains. He just radiates happiness. I love it. See you soon!

capturing said...

Jenny I made this the other day and it was awesome! We absolutely loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Love you!