Monday, December 08, 2008

Music time...


I've always loved listening to music with the babes. When the were newborns I loved to listen to classical music with them, especially during the fussy hours. Then we went through a long period of almost exclusive Elizabeth Mitchell days....we love her still, of course. Now, we are listening to a mixture of music, but I find myself not liking a lot of background music. Especially when they are working on puzzles or looking at books, etc. So, for a long time I have wanted to have an intentional music time, where we really listen to what is playing. I asked for a portable CD player for Christmas and the Hunts sweetly got me one--yay! So, today I sat their little chairs up next to the radio and we spent a few minutes talking about how to touch the radio (with one finger, no pushing buttons, etc.) and then I turned on our first song. It was "I had a Rooster" sung by Pete Seeger. They loved it! They sat there for about 10 minutes (well, Sam sat and Amelia sat and stood and walked around) and we listened to the song about 3 times. The last time they started mimicking the animal sounds. My next goal is to have a little basket with the wooden animals in it, so that they can start picking out the animals when they hear the sounds. Fun!

Anyway, now Amelia is feeding Sammy his yogurt and she's getting a little forceful, so I better run.

They are being so cute these days that I just kiss them a billion times. Could that be because I am well rested and energized? Quite possibly:)


Here's to really listening, Jen

7 comments:

the schilps said...

oh your ideas are so inspiring, jenny. what fun!
missing you!
abbe

Anonymous said...

Music time is a great idea, what a good Momma you are, of course you learned from the best!

Love, Bub

Anonymous said...

Oh sleep and rest can work wonders... I love the special music time. I just can't wait to join in. I loved our time of music and dancing in the early morning hours.
Much love,
Grammy
p.s.Thank you, Bub.

Joel said...

Just imagine what will happen when they listen to Johnny Cash...oh wait, they already have and they LOVE him! They rock out and can't quit singing his great lyrics to "A Long Black Veil" or "Man in Black" or "San Quentin". Sam usually wails on the air guitar while Amelia hammers out a killer beat on the trash can drums. It's such great fun.
joel

Jenny said...

Give them a couple of years Joelie and your dreams just night come true:) Jen

Anonymous said...

At least Melia wasn't using her favorite fork to feed Sam! :) Darling little yogurt faces!

Sam, the musician, with his assistant...Reading and music...what could be better!!

Miss them sooo much, but even thinking of them brings me great smiles! gma

Anonymous said...

joel...i am Sure they are secretly singing those songs in duet form as they sail into slumber! sjh