Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sometimes I think we make things seem so black and white. Sometimes it seems as if our culture thinks that something that isn't glamorous or easy can't also be good--good to the very core.

Confession: If you were a fly on my wall Thursday late afternoon you would have seen me lying on the kitchen floor wailing, "I'm just soooo tired. I just need Joel to be home. I. just. need. Booooo hoooo hooooo. "

It wasn't pretty, this little break down of mine. But you know how in those most broken moments, how God reaches in and teaches that broken heart things that will never leave you?

That is what has been happening in my life lately. I've been tired this past couple of weeks. Weary, really. Completely bare as I go about my days. Changing diapers. Changing clothes. Teaching little ones to share. Rescuing little ones from danger. Wiping noses. Changing diapers. Cleaning. Chopping, stirring, baking. "Stop whining Amelia." "Sam, I think you need some time on your mat." Breathe. Breathe. Clean. Kiss. Read. Cuddle. Carry. Push. Bathe. I needed a break and God brought the Hunts to our home just in time.

You know what else He brought though? Deep, to the heart's core whisperings about His purposes for me. About the sacredness of mothering and being a wife--being the keeper of my home. Whisperings about opening my heart to the needs of those around me (and not just S and A). Whisperings about finding rest and allowing people to help. About being humble in this journey of motherhood. Whisperings about remembering that I am His child first. Before being a mother, before being a wife to my Joelie...I am a child of God. He has purposes for me. Purposes that He will energize me for.

So, though a breakdown on the kitchen floor isn't glamorous, and though mothering is not always easy--being brought to a place where you are open to His whisperings is good. Good to the core. And for that I am thankful. Hope you are having a restful (at least in spirit) weekend as well, Jen

5 comments:

Court said...

Hey Jen ~ looks like you had your moment a day before me! Some days are tougher than others, but God remains steadfast and faithful...and boy am I thankful for that! I was just writing my "status" on facebook and it reads "Courtney is tired and wonders when Momma can get some rest?" oh well :) I wouldn't trade it for the world. Love ya!

Unknown said...

mmm. sweet stuff Jenny Ren. I am waiting for my moment ladies. Love you so little momma.

Megan Sandoz said...

God is so wonderful. I am so happy he is teaching you things. Life is so sweet with him :) Love you!

Unknown said...

Oh how I understand those moments. If our hearts where not so deeply intwhined in this profession called mothering, we would never break down...cause we would not care so much. But we do care, so we slough through those down times in order to truly appreciate those beautiful moments that only our children can bless us with. I am always able to look back at those exhausted, exasperated, fed up times and laugh. Sometimes it takes a few months...or year but I still laugh. EVERY mother has or will have those crying on the floor moments. For some crazy reason I find comfort in that.

Jocelyn said...

I haven't had time to read blogs for the past couple of days, but sure wish I had read yours!! I am dealing with some of those same thoughts and feelings of overwhelming exhaustion and on the verge of breakdown. It's so wonderful to know that we mommas are not alone and there are other mommas out there that know and understand! Thank you for sharing your heart and your heart's wisper... a message to all of us mommas.