Friday, November 14, 2008

Celebrate Babywearing!






It was International Babywearing week this week. A good reminder to keep our babes close. Click here to get some info on the benefits of wearing your wee ones and toddlers. It has been such a joy for us. My biggest tips for new babywearers are:

1) Try until you find one that works best for youand your babe(s). . Borrow from friends, find a group that allows you to trial run several different kinds, etc. My favorites are my Maya ring sling and my Beco carrier.

2) Try, try again. It takes some time to get the right fit. Yes, they may fuss at first and I know there are some babes that just don't like being in such a cozy place. I think the majority, though, find great security in it once you get the fit right.

3) Find someone who is already doing it and can help you.

Finding these pictures of our babywearing journey was a good reminder to throw those toddlers on my back a little more often! It is still very soothing for Sam to be so near to me especially. So, get your slings out ladies (and gentlemen) and let's keep our little ones close to our hearts. It's good for us all isn't it?
Jen

5 comments:

ann.e said...

Yes, it's a good thing! Glad I was able to celebrate baby-wearing week on this last day :) She seemed quite comfortable and would have stayed if she hadn't wanted to get down and play with her buddies!

Jenny said...

Yes, I was inspired by seeing you wearing Vera today too! It melted my heart really. See ya soon, Jen

p.s. I have a bag of stuff to return to you. I'll put the Beco in it to see what Vera thinks. Maybe tomorrow I'll drop it off?

ann.e said...

I think we posted and commented simultaneously.

We'll be here!

I'm off to watch some sappy Hallmark movies!

the willards said...

I'm a friend of robin and joels and I was looking at this post. My husband and I are pregnant with a little girl due in March and I cannot wait to babywear. We have two other girls, 4 and 7, and I did a little babywearing with them but this time around I want to do it a lot more. Your pictures were precious.

Sarah H said...

I didn't know it was Babywearing Week. Not that I could wear my 2.5-year-old baby with this big ol' belly in the way, but I'm sure she'd still hop up in her sling if she could! I miss the snuggly-ness. :)

Love the picture with one on front and one on back! Grandma in the rocking chair is precious as well. :)