Monday, September 22, 2008

What a difference a day makes!

So, it was time for a "me" day, and when Joel offered (he could probably see me starting to crumble) to take the babes for a full day I readily agreed . On a side note, just incase any of you readers are wondering whatever happened with my search for someone to help me out a couple of days a week, I have realized that only when Joel watches them do I really, fully relax and enjoy my time out alone and so I've stopped trying to find someone. They are at a much easier stage and we are all getting plenty of rest these days, and so the days of desperate exhaustion are few and far between . Thank the Lord. The few times I tried having a babysitter I would just miss them and be ready to get back anyway! Now and then, though, a break is called for and today was one of those times..
I have literally felt myself recharging during this wonderful day.

I started out at Paradise (of course!) with a warm bowl of tomato soup and a big diet coke....mmmm mmmm. The sweet workers that love to see the babes looked at me with a puzzled look and asked if I didn't bring them because it was raining. "No," I answered. "I have the day off!" They smiled and looked at me knowingly and gave me an extra scoop of sour cream on my soup. Thanks sweet ladies!

Then I went over to Anne's to visit and meet the new, squishy 6 month old baby girl that she is baby sitting these days. She was such a cute rolly polly and I thoroughly enjoyed my time holding her, visiting with Anne, and playing and reading with Vera.

Next it was on to the SLC library. Walking through the doors alone felt so ......strange. I haven't done it in a very long time. As I walked around, slowly and deliberately taking my time, it took me back to times before the babes. Times when I came here to do data entry when we first moved here. When I would start out with an enormous pile of forms on my left side and moving them to the right as I would satisfactorily widdle the giant pile into an empty space. Times when I came to tutor my ESL students in our own little study room--chatting and laughing and learning. Times when I came to lesson plan--forcing myself to stop people watching and focus on the grammar lesson at hand .
Times when I would see the Children's library and dream of the day when I would have babies to read to and to bring to this wonderful place. Times when I was, at long last, pregnant and browsing the shelves for books about pregnancy, and then multiples (!). I have now come full circle as I relish the time to move slowly, alone. The freedom of not rushing about to get our books before someone melts down or gets hungry or hurts themselves. And though it's nice to have this time alone, I wouldn't go back to those days of productive data entry, fun chats with my international students, late night lesson planning and longing for children days for anything.

And so with a thankful heart, I continue this day. Thankful for this "me" time, and yet even more thankful for the three treasures I have waiting for me at home.

Here's to days of recharging our bodies and souls,
Jen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that Joel Hunt gave you a special day. It sounds like you used your time in the best ways possible. I recharged a bit after locking myself out and missing work. Dude and I have chilled,I took a walk in the park and am fixing to read a bit.
Love,
Mom

Joel said...

You, of all people, deserve at LEAST a day of recharging. You're amazing!
Love you,
One of Three Treasures Waiting at Home

Tammy said...

Awesome day! Just like you, I would choose to go to the library for sure if I had a whole day off :)!

Megan Sandoz said...

Sigh, I love your blog Jenny. Know that I read every post... even if I never comment :) Megan (Pasche) Sandoz

the bakks said...

I'm so glad you took some time to move slowly...alone. I recharged Saturday night moving slowly and sitting alone among books at barnes & noble :) It was fantastic, as your day, too, sounds.

Oberg family said...

amen sista! i haven't had that day yet, but i don't have 2 like you either! we all need our alone time and i am glad your wonderful husband has that understanding. you both are amazing people. hopw you are ALL doing well!

hugs!