Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Montessori Moment--Child friendly spaces.

One of the Montessori ideas that I'm currently trying to incorporate into our home is the idea of bringing things, literally, down to a child's level. Child sized furniture, art hanging where they can clearly see and enjoy it, dishes kept on lower shelves so that they can assist in emptying the dishwasher (this one is still a few months away for us), etc. There are many simple things that can be done to show children that they are valued and capable members of the household. So, one of my first attempts was to make some "art pieces" to hang above their little table. I bought these frames for a dollar a piece at Michael's and found these beautiful post cards at one of my favorite online stores, A Child's Dream Come True. Last night I hung them, making sure to put the cat on Sammy's side and the birds on Amelia's. I loved the finished product, but had no idea what they would think. Well, Joel had "baby duty" this morning (oh how I will miss this when he goes to work!) and said that as soon as he opened the nursery door they noticed the pictures and hightailed it over to try and take them off the wall! He said that Sam was shouting "AT! AT! " and Amelia was furiously signing "bird":) After showing them how to gently touch the pictures, we haven't had any more problems with them trying to take them off--hurray! The verdict is in....they love them. While they were eating I kept noticing them glancing over at the art, like Amelia is doing in this picture.

Barbara Curtis, in her book The Mommy Manual, suggests hanging pictures of people reading in the children's book corner, pictures of the outdoors next to your child's coat rack, etc.

I know these are simple ideas, and sometimes I feel silly for getting so excited about them, but I do! I'll keep you updated as I try to incorporate the things that I'm reading into practical life.

Here's to making our home all we desire for it to be one baby step at a time,
Jenny

7 comments:

ann.e said...

Cute!!!! I love the little eating space! It's not silly at all to get excited over these things :) I've been wanting to frame some things for vera too - she loooves real pictures of bunnies and ducks and flowers. I want a little table too and I know just where I'll put it :)

Anonymous said...

What sweet reactions to their new art. They are so smart!
Much Love,
Grammy

Unknown said...

Jenny you are so good. I am going to copy you pronto.
I hung prisms above Echo's play space in the living room. She really watches them throughout the daytime.
We are making the "nursery" a music/craft room for us and buying a playshelf for the living room, and putting her table w/ it. Crazy huh ? We just don't use the room, and well i will explain the rest later.
We are doing this all tomorrow !
Love growing in Montessori ideas with you, can't wait to be there !

the schilps said...

i love it, jenny. asher's room seems like a cave right now, so, thanks for the inspiration. i have been looking for ways to make it more interesting and this just might be it!

thanks friend. love you.
ab

linda said...

Hello Jenny,
THankyou for delurking and for your kind words. One thing I love about the blogging community is that you get to identify and connect with people you've never even met. And that is a lovely thing. Your twins are precious.

Hayden and Kelly said...

what a great idea! I love it! They need thier own little space just as much as we do! You are a brilliant mother. I need to read these books that you do! Any suggestions to get me started?

Sarah H said...

What a lovely little space! They must love sitting and eating there together.

The dishwasher thing has worked well for us. Stella has her own dishes that are plastic and she clears her plate and puts it in the dishwasher when she is done (a bit tricky to reach the upper shelf still). "Her" drawer is right next to the dishwasher, at her level, and she puts away all of her plates and cups and utensils. Things to look forward to... :)