Sunday, September 28, 2008

The joy of (even little bitty) puddles...





I have to say, though it takes a bit of effort to clean them up before coming inside, it is one of my favorite things to see the babes play in the dirt and leaves and grass and mud. My parents never discouraged us from romping around outside, getting covered in mud from head to toe. In fact, some of my favorite memories are of my dad and brother sliding around in the biggest puddles ever after a big rain would come. It's what we did. We were country kids.

So, though Sam and Amelia are starting their childhood smack dab in the middle of a city neighborhood, we make sure that chances to play in the dirt and leaves and garden and mud are plentiful. It just seems healthy and right, you know?

Here's to letting our little ones explore this great big (messy) world,
Jenny

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember when the sweet girls came over to play and they came up to the house covered in mud. Their mom was shocked! They sure had fun, though.

Love,
Grammy

Unknown said...

Echo too, shes a city girl. Although in theory I want her to be out in the middle of nowhere city, in the thick of nature.
Your so right, they need to be dirty, and if they are not- something is wrong with the day.
I always remember the Maria Montessori quote, about depriving them of nature.
We will have much roaming about the parks and yard together so soon !

ann.e said...

I agree - I LOVED getting dirty when I was little and wouldn't want to deprive Vera of that just because I have to wash her up (which I think I'm sometimes guilty of...)

I love Amelia's look in the second picture :)

Robin said...

And it's only the beginning...LOVE all the pics!!!!

Shanyn Zink said...

I LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! Here's to dirt. It's what we're made from! (okay, clay is close)
Thank you, Lord for your amazing work. And thank you for making us so miraculously from your breath and this wonderful substance called soil/clay.
Ditto the almost guilty look of Amelia in the second pic. Like she's asking Sam- do you think we really should be doing this? Hee hee.
Shan