Friday, April 25, 2008

I like to talk to people.

Most of you know this. However, before the babes I really didn't care too much about talking to people in public. I mean perfect strangers. There was the occasional exception, but for the most part I liked the people in line with me to wait quietly and the people shopping around me to just shop, etc. This is no longer the case. Having twins causes people to talk to me in public. A lot. I know I have written about this before but I thought that by now I would be sick of it. Nope, just the opposite. I love it! I think this is because of a few things. One, we have had to stay in a lot and so when I get out I am more than ready for a little conversation--even if it is the same one over and over and over again. Two, being a stay at home mama can be a bit isolating and so connection is craved--even from those who are not in our every day circle. Three, I like hearing people's stories.

Take our walk this afternoon for instance. Just a little walk to Whole Foods for some peas and Veggie Booty (which the babes are in love with:)--and I learned this about three people--

1. A girl about my age has three year old twins. She and her husband are trying to have another babe and just today she had her ultrasound to see if the injectables she is taking were successful. They weren't. We had a great talk and I got to tell her that I would be praying for them and I really will.

2. A man in line in front of me has 22 year old boy/girl twins. He asked all kinds of great questions and we had a great conversation about breast feeding/natural birth/ VBACS/ challenges of twins/ prematurity etc. I was so encouraged that his wife went on to have three vaginal births after her vaginal/Csection twin birth!

3. The lady behind me in line has 39 year old identical twin girls. She was getting dinner to take to one of the girls as she had had her first IVF treatment today and was feeling pretty low. My heart just broke for her and the mom was so sweet and encouraging about having twins. She walked away saying, "Cherish every day with those precious ones. Cherish every day."

See what I mean?! People get deep fast. It's like a magic button or something.

I do have to say that the other day I went to the library with just Amelia snuggled next to me in her sling and that was really special too. Really special and really EASY (sorry moms that have one baby--I know it isn't always easy.) Anywho, it is so rare that I get time with one baby at a time and I really did love it.

But--since two it is-- I hope that I keep enjoying the perk of extra conversations and getting to see inside of people for even a minute or two. I know some days I will be tired or in a hurry and just want people to leave us alone--but today it made a fun walk with my babies even more fun and for that I'm thankful. Hope you had a good one too, Jen

"To You
STRANGER!
if you, passing, meet me, and desire to speak to me,
why should you not speak to me?
And why should I not speak to you? "-Walt Whitman

2 comments:

Shanyn Zink said...

Okay, you KNOW I love that blog. Need I say more?? ;) Most of the time you know I thrive on strangers talking to me and me talking to them...most of the time. I'm sooo glad that it's been a good thing to you lately. Cool. It IS ABSOLUTELY amazing how deep people are and willing to get LIGHTNING FAST sometimes. I think especially in our culture now, people are much more spiritually and socially hungry (for face to face talking). Interesting I'm commenting about this - I'm sitting outside in downtown Houston Ecclesia Church's Coffee Garden right now with my hubby where they have a GREAT selection of books discussing "connecting" with humanity. ANYWAY - that was SOO hilarious about the lady and man sandwhiching you in with OLDER twin stories!! So interesting!! Okay, I've commented way too long. Love you,
Shan

Shanyn Zink said...

Oh! And I LOVE the Walt Whitman quote - you are SOOO good and pulling out quotes relating to the matter on which you speak or write. ;)
Love again,
Shan