Sunday, April 13, 2008

"Every party must have balloons..."

This was said as I was frantically blowing them up 5 minutes before the party was set to begin. I had taken no shower, I was not dressed. But balloons trump all of that. They are just so festive. Joelie, realizing my determination level and how important it must be, jumped in and got the job done much faster than I ever could have. By 10:30 am, the porch was lined with red balloons. The porch was lined with red balloons, the babies were freshly dressed and in top form after just awakening from their nap, but no guests were arriving. "Nobody is coming. Nobody is coming to the first birthday party. We were so careful and had to not invite many of our good friends because we still have to limit the babes exposure to groups, and we couldn't invite those with older children that might touch the babies with their germs.....and now the little group that we did invite isn't coming!" These were my silly thoughts. They came, we all had a great time, the babies had a great time and all was well with the world. Here is a little glimpse into the decorations...

The fabulous birthday banner above was made by their Auntie Tara. I love it and can't wait to get it out for every birthday party at the Hunt abode:)She also made their birthday crowns below. How wonderful are they?! Another treasure that will be worn again and again.


The cakes are surrounded by the babies Birthday Rings, which is a Waldorf tradition we'll be adopting for our little ones. You can read about it here ( though we are doing it a bit different). Being outdoors was such a theme of their first year and so the first decorations for their birthday rings were symbols of that. The freedom that nature has brought the babes and I has been tremendous. When the babes were sooo tiny and fragile and not ready to go out into the world when they first came home, the front porch swing was where we camped out. The loved the fresh air and the noises and I loved it too. Even when it was snowy and very,very cold the change of scenery that the outdoors brought on our walks was so welcome and needed. When we couldn't go to others' houses or to stores,etc. because of RSV, their was always our daily walk to look forward to. Now that it is Spring and the flowers are blooming and the sun is shining again, seeing the babies in the backyard on a blanket just makes it feel like all is right again. So, when I asked my mama to make a poster for the party and told her that my "theme" was going to be something like an enchanted garden, she drew this...

It couldn't have been more perfect. She chose the verse , "Jeremiah 29:11-- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you. Plans to give you hope and a future." How evident that has already been in Sam and Amelia's life!


Of course their favorite part of opening the gifts was the tissue paper, but be assured that new toys are being played with and books are being read and clothes will be worn:) We loved all of the sweet cards and they are still on display. More pictures of the birthday babes soon! Jen

3 comments:

Shanyn Zink said...

Yes, every party MUST have balloons! ;) I'm so glad you had them. Did you get a pic of the front porch? I hear there was quite a difference between the eating styles of Sam & Amelia...can't wait to see more about that. ;) I'm SOO glad it went well, Jen & Joel.
Love you,
Shanyn

Hayden and Kelly said...

You will never know how sad Hayden and I were about missing the party. We were so bummed. Maybe we can have a 1.5 yr birthday party when you come visit this summer on the farm. I'll get the balloons :)
Love ya

Anonymous said...

i love the decorations. tell tara that the banner turned out great. what a creative party! I know they are having a great time with those new toys. give all 3 babes hugs and kisses for me.
lots of love,
grammy
i want to see the balloons also...