Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Oh, lots of things...

Joel has started hiding the computer from me again. It's this thing we do when I realize I am relying to much on this little piece of equipment too often during my days. I simply say, "Joel, hide the computer." So, at night before he goes to bed he hides the lap top and I wake up in the morning and *poof*, this wonderful-horrible internet is out of my life for the day. Anyway, this is why I haven't been posting as often.

Most of my "babies are asleep time" lately has been spent reading Beverly Lewis books. Fiction books about Amish culture. I think I am on my 9th novel in about three or four weeks. Wow, really? Yep. They are not great literature, but I find Amish culture fascinating. I've always thought that maybe I was meant to be Amish, but now I am changing that to Mennonite. Or maybe Quaker. Mom says that I just haven't embraced the hippie part of me that runs in my family blood:) Really, I just long for God and simplicity and productiveness and community.

Let's see, what else?

When we put the babes to bed we always turn on music for them. Lately we have been listening to someone new and when a certain song of theirs comes on I instantly get an image in my head of Joel and I in Ethiopia, meeting out baby boy for the first time. Every single time I hear the song. It is such a sweet, welcome image that I usually play the song three or four times. I'll save sharing the name of it until I can share it accompanied by pictures of that wonderful day to come.

We got some new (to us) books in the mail from ThriftBooks.com (thanks Diana for telling me about this site--I love it a little too much!). I saw the package in the mailbox when we drove up the driveway from story time and I literally jumped out of the car and ripped them open. I'm like that when it comes to mail. And books. We read Blueberries for Sal at least four times tonight:) We also got a Brambly Hedge book and I fell in love.

When we first introduced Sam and Amelia to "Thomas the Train", she thought I said "Hummus the Train" and hasn't been able to let go of the name since. Several times a day I hear some variation of this conversation:
Amelia: Sam, there's Hummus!
Sam: It's not HUmmus, it's THomas.
Amelia: Right, it's Hummus the train.
Sam: THomas.
Amelia: I know. Hummus.
Sam:
He just looks at her with a blank face and drops the subject. It makes me laugh every time.

Beige, beige, beige, beige. We need some colors on the walls of this house or I am going to go coo coo.

The other day it was so sunny and warmish and we went into the back yard and went on a bug hunt. We flipped over big rocks and watched as the worms tried to slither under the ground. The babes squeled with delight and caught many worms and Amelia kept saying, " I love you worms. I really, really love you." Then she would proceed to hold them and "love" them to death. Poor wormies.

I guess that's all the randomness I have for now. Back to my Amish love stories, Jen

A couple of favorite pictures from this week:

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, right when I needed a Sam and Melia fix... i got one!
Love,
Mammie

Emily said...

another great source for books is paperbackswap.com you get like three freebies to get you started and you never pay shipping. (unless you are sending your books to someone else.) My boys were recently introduced to hummus for the first time. My two year old called his hummus "thomas". He giggled everytime that we were eating poor thomas! :-)

Esther said...

I love Beverly Lewis books. We live in Amish country here in WI, it's so fun to see the buggies drive by in the street!

Kelly said...

I'm also fascinated by the Amish culture, Jenny! I've read several of Lewis' books... but not in awhile, I may have to pick one up...

I'm off to check out Thriftbooks. Sounds like something I would love. Thanks for the tip!

Melissa A Lively said...

Have you watched the movie "Raising Sarah Cain..." You must watch it. It is about 5 Amish children and directed by Michael Landon Jr. Didn't ever make it to the "big screen..." But it is soooo good!!!