Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beautiful boy...


Almost three years later and he still chooses to curl up next to Joel when he sleeps in our bed. Most nights he walks in, dragging his two blankets and a big quilt and stands at Joel's side with his little hand on Joel's arm until he wakes up and pulls him into bed . I still love the sight of them curled up next to each other. I remember when when people would hear that we co-slept with Sam and Amelia and they would tell us "horror" stories about 5 year olds still wanting to sleep with their parents. We would both look at each other thinking, "Is that really all that horrid?!"

Joel finished reading the book "Beautiful Boy" a few weeks ago and now I am about to finish it as well. He would try to read me excerpts of it, but his chin would start to tremble and his eyes fill up with tears and he would hardly be able to get through it. You see, it's a fathers heartbreaking tale of having a son addicted to meth. And as I was reading it last night, Sammy stumbled in weeping and feverish and climbed up into bed beside Joel. I put the book down, grabbed a cold wash cloth to put on his head, and then took a picture. To capture this moment with our beautiful boy. To remember how thankful I am to have such a tender husband. To acknowledge that this almost three year old will grow up before we know it, and we will long for the days when he stood quietly beside our bed waiting to be pulled into the safe arms of his daddy.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I will go get some hot tea and cry for a while, Jen

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

snuggle with that beautiful boy and don't doubt that time for one second!!! Look at that sweet, tender husband and those two uncles to Sam. Tender hearted men are a blessing and they start as tender hearted little boys.
Love you and hope our Sammy feels better soon!
Mammie

Jana said...

precious precious...I am shedding tears of thankfulness with you!

Jocelyn said...

my heart is bursting. i go through struggling feelings about sariyah in my bed. but, you know what? you're right... they grow up so fast... and if she needs the extra security and snuggle, i'm glad to do it. and... when she is gone on the weekends it doesn't seem right- there's something missing in that big bed... like a warm, snuggly little girl who loves her momma and just wants to be close for a little longer.

heart... bursting at this post... bursting!

Rachael said...

Jen, that was such a beautiful post! I have two boys, and I often times fall into the routine of busy, busy, busy and go, go, go, and I forget about the little moments like your husband shares with his son. You moved me to tears!! :)

Robin Schoepf said...

:) I love your beautiful boys! We miss you all very very much!

Anonymous said...

blessings indeed
anna