Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Mid morning sunshine....

We woke up late today, those babes and I. We woke up late and ate eggs with black beans and cheese on top, a favorite for all. We pulled up the shade and saw the sun shining and bundled up quickly for a trip outdoors. I, once again, lay flat on the ground looking up at the sky while Sam and Amelia ran around gathering sticks and crunching in the snow. After a while I got out our little sled and asked if they wanted a ride around the backyard first. It is a sled made for one and so as I piled Sam on top of Amelia's lap I thought she may revolt but instead she gave him a kiss on his head and said, "awwww". Then as I tugged them forward she wrapped her arms around him and as we circled the yard she kept patting his little chest.

After a few laps I decided to take them on a walk around the block and we headed out. We walked at a snail's pace, stopping for Sam to examine all of the "TUCK!" s and to watch the birds chirping around our neighbors feeders. I lured them home with the promise of a snack and tucked them in for a nap soon after.

Like I read another twin mom write about on her blog this morning, my beginning as a mama was far from perfect. My dream of a natural birth went down in flames. The instant bonding that every mother hopes for did not happen. It took weeks and even months for true bonding and healing to begin for us all. Once they came home from the NICU, having two infants meant that holding one and just staring at them and soaking them in almost never happened. At the end of the day, I often felt inadequate and like there was simply no way to love and care for them in the way I desired. Things didn't look the way I imagined they would. At all. When people would see us out and tell me that they dreamed of having twins I thought, "If only you knew the reality of it lady!" You see, I never dreamed of having twins. Quite the opposite.I wanted the luxuray of pouring love into my babies one at a time! So, when I would see a friend/aquaintence who was able to parent their babe with the attachment that I had planned on for so long, my heart would feel a tug. When babies much younger than the twins would reach (and still do) milestones before them, it put a little knick in my motherly pride. It's hard to admit that. So, though I feel like I have sought and found the joy of every day with the babies pretty consistently, there definitely have been days that I mourn the "loss" of a bit more simplicity that comes with starting your mothering career with one babe instead of two.

Just lately, though, the tide is turning in my heart. When I see Amelia rub Sam's back or kiss his little head, or when he sees her in time out and rushes to her aid...when they march out of the room together looking behind at me like ,"See you later mom" and then run back in moments later giggling...I think, "Thank you Lord, for this gift of two." I know I have written about appreciating their twinness before so that may not sound like a big deal, but I honestly don't think I have ever had a thankful heart towards the Lord for twins (as madly as I love them both individually). I know there will be hard days ahead. I can't even imagine how complex things will be adding another little soul into the family one day, but God is an intentional God. He often gives gifts that refine us I think. Having two has humbled me as a mama, it has forced me to be far more laid back then I would have been with one and at the same time have a bit more structure in my life, it has caused me to be adaptable (I almost never go to playgrounds alone with two mobile toddlers, but the museum and library and gardens, etc. are doable--I could look at it as limiting or just adapt and find things that are a fit for us), it has stretched me and grown me, caused me to ask for help, admit my limitations, pulled me out of my often lethargic ways and so, so much more.

And so today, as we walked in the mid morning sun, I thanked Him. I acknowledged once again that these little hands that held mine were indeed blessings, individually and as a duo. I hope that I will continue to remember that in the days to come when the sun may not shine so brightly as we walk together.

All for now,
Jen

The sentimental journey towards the second birthday continues....

10 comments:

capturing said...

Jenny,

I so love your blog. Thank you for always sharing your heart in what seems to me in an honest, vulnerable and real way. I was crying as I read this entry tonight. I hardly know you...yet I think you are incredible. I really just wanted to say thank you for writing this, thank you for your honesty, thank you for your reflectiveness and thank you for your attention to your soul. I believe this simple blog entry will help me in embracing the challenges, difficulties, and differences that have and will come with raising Griffin. Thank you for the reminder to be more intentional with my gratitude. love to your family Jenny. Melanie

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Jen Dear, thank you! sjh

Oberg family said...

You sure have a way with words Jen. I have cried many tears just reading the words you have written. YOU ARE AMAIZING! XOXO

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness I am bawling like a baby over here. I felt like you said all the words I have had mixed up inside of me for so, so long now. I am also a twin mom, mine just turned 2 and I have often felt so many of these same feelings and felt guilty for it. Thank you so very much for sharing these words with us all...I will be forever grateful to you! Just knowing there are others out there that feel the same things helps so very much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I simply cannot read you blog without tissues on hand. I cry nearly every single time. This is no exaggeration. You are a gifted writer, a loving mama and wife, and a dear friend. Thanks for sharing, Jenny.

Esther said...

That was beautiful. Just beautiful. You really give an insight into what it takes to be a mom of twins. You are a wonderful mom!

Anonymous said...

ilove you, sweet jenners with the twinners.
mammy

Anonymous said...

Sweet, Sweet Jenny, Thank you for sharing who you are with us. I always feel priviledged when we share face to face. You have always had a deep soul and a way with words. You are becoming an incredible writer. As for your blog you can see that it has also become a ministry, I had no doubt that one day that would happen. Just keep on being you. I love you, b

Anonymous said...

Beth told me I needed to read your blog tonight so I did (I'm a good boy - mostly).

Wow. No tissues here, just Wow.

I've always wanted to see SLC....

/kevin

Unknown said...

You are a phenomenal attachment partner, and have been my example to live all the way.
Blessed be those tugs at your heart, for those of us who have never seen the darkness DO indeed have trouble seeing the light.
i love you. <3