Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mozart Meltdowns...

We took the babes on their first stroller ride tonight. Sam wasn't buying it at first but soon calmed down and they both conked out. When we got home and the soothing ride was over they promptly woke up and began their evening meltdown. Yes, even these cutie patooties do have their moments of unhappiness...and it seems to happen most often around 7-9 in the evening (which I have read is common....mommies out there?)Usually nursing or walking around outside does the trick after a bit and then we start bath time but neither of them would have it tonight.

I have learned that if I stay calm they usually calm down much quicker. But how to stay calm with TWO screaming babies?! I can feel my heart start to race just thinking about it. One trick I use is turning on our baby Mozart CD. It doesn't make them stop crying, but it calms my heart and actually makes me smile in the midst of chaos because it makes the scene quite comedic.

Tonight as soon as I put Sam in the sling he calmed down (duh!why didn't I try that earlier?!) and Joel and I got Amelia in her bath and she calmed down as well and went into her bath time zen state. The key is finding the right soother for that night...you never know what it'll be. Anyway, after they were bathed and swaddled and binkies were in, the music was still playing and all was truly calm. Ahhhh, a couple of hours of quiet to get some house work done. I never knew washing diapers and loading the dishwasher could feel so relaxing...but it does. The calm after the storm is always so lovely, don't you think?!

Thanks for all of your birthday wishes....it was a fabulous day! Jen

7 comments:

Court said...

Hey Jenny....just ask Ashley....I'm sure she can give you plenty of tips! Just think...you just have 2....she had 3 under the age of 2!

It's a process...and you'll be an expert in no time flat! Glad you had a nice birthday.

Shanna said...

Yep!! I can definitely relate! In between 7:30 and about 8:30 Jonathan is at his worst. Being a parent has made me alot more creative, too. Good luck!
Shanna

Anonymous said...

Joel, since you like Cherokee history, you'd love Mankiller, a chief and her people. It's a book also available in audio books.

Anonymous said...

the music choas scene just played out in my mind jen. i love it. some part of us does want that scene. or is that just me? can't you just see Johnny Mike doing that ALL the time when the baby comes. Talk about tuning out. ha ha ! mmmmwahh i cannot wait until November! November!

-tara shay schoepf

Tammy said...

Ah yes, the evening witching hours. Sometimes there is just not much to be done except rock baby(ies) and listen to lots of crying. Sometimes you try everything, and nothing works. However, the good news is that it is only a phase, and it is quite temporary. Calvin and Michelle both did this on and off for several months, but by 4 months of age they had mostly outgrown it. Call if you need baby-hugging help sometime or just a break in the evening. I will try to come if at all possible! :)

ashley said...

Jenny...oh how I remember those days! I was like you...I put Enya on as loud as I could (thought I would bust the speakers) because it calmed me too!!! They do tend to have their fussy times. My girls loved the swing...that was my saving grace!! Thankfully yours like the paci...mine didn't and they needed one!!
Hope you have a great weekend!

Dawn said...

You are doing a great job with those babies!! You will soon be able to write a book on how to do it with two or more!! :)
Love and prayers,
Puddin'