Monday, July 23, 2007

At the heart of it....

This evening I found myself walking in circles around the back yard. For almost an hour. "Why?" You might ask. Well, I wasn't alone you see. I was pushing two little babes in their stroller during meltdown hour. "Why didn't you take a nice stroll around the block?,"may be your next question. Well, I was heading in that direction, I was actually zooming down the driveway until I paused to take note of my appearance. Uh oh. I was wearing bleach stained capri jogging pants, a white nursing tank with a fresh milk circle from our last nursing session, flip flops and stringy, oily hair pulled half way up. As the babes started belting it out again I almost just decided I didn't care, but a glance down at the fresh milk circle stopped me in my tracks and I quickly made an escape into the back yard. And their we walked. And we talked. And we sang. And as we walked around and around and around I giggled to myself and thought, "This is hysterical! What am I doing?!" And really, I was asking myself "What is this Mothering thing all about?" I mean nitty, gritty mothering like this. Why do we do it? Why did i quit a lucrative (just kidding:), fulfilling, impactful, ESL teaching career for this? How am I helping society by walking around in circles (which is what parenting infants,and beyond I'm sure, often feels like)?
Nurturing souls. That's what came to me. I looked over the edge of the stroller and saw two pairs of eyes looking up at the sky and I thought "Nurturing two little souls." That is what it's all about. Two little souls that will grow and blossom and impact their world in many ways. Two little souls that are already teaching us about selflessness and patience and compassion. And I pushed a little stronger and I felt a little more understanding and I looked over the backyard fence at the mountains and thanked the Lord for evenings like this. After all, I'm sure in the years to come I'll wish that a little wind on their faces and a look at the sky above was all they needed to quiet whatever it is inside that won't allow them rest. Jen

6 comments:

the schilps said...

that's cool, jen. i always love to hear your thoughts.
love
ab

Anonymous said...

Oh how I would love to be walking that circle with you. Jen, you are so right, that's what it's all about and you will be so thankful when you get to enjoy the incredible adults they will become. I have loved every step of the journey. Well, there have been a few bumps in there, but keep that attitude and the bumps will be worth it.

Anonymous said...

jenny why couldn't we be neighbors then we could talk over the fence..anna

Jami said...

Of course you realize that at some point, at least by the time your children become teenagers and you lose a considerable about of IQ(this will be according to them, not me)...and you will, maybe once again, find yourself walking in circles in your back yard,( due to the stress of having two teenagers,....maybe they locked you out of the house [their idea of humor, which you can blame on their dad]), your kids will think you have gone nuts. But for now, enjoy the fact that they still think you are the most wonderful thing in the universe!...

Anonymous said...

I love you guys. I was telling some folks the other night how much I love you Huntskis. And so I thought I should tell you. Tell Joel I got his call. I am working alot. But I will call him. I am now smiling at your pictures. Sam and Amelia are gorgeous.

-Knappy

the bakks said...

Jenny! I have recently stumbled upon your blog and have loved reading about your cute little family! I hope to meet Sam and Amelia sometime real soon!
- Ellie (Plachy) Bakk