Friday, January 06, 2012

Little squirrels...

We did a fun little activity at the gardens with Anne and Vera that I wanted to share. I can't take credit for the idea...it came from this blog (where I also got the idea and badge to make "outdoor play everyday" a goal for 2012).

The gist of the activity is you cut out paper acorns, hide them for your kids, and your kids pretend to be squirrels finding and gathering them for winter. You can also be predators trying to get the squirrels or steal their acorns:)
So, while getting ready the night before for our outing, I just printed out some acorn coloring sheets, and packed them in the kid's back packs with markers, art boards for a surface to color on, and scissors.

We got there and they played for quite a while and then colored and then Anne and I quickly hid the acorn pictures and explained to them that they were squirrels gathering acorns for the winter. They had to find the acorns and make it back to their tree without the predators (the mamas) getting them or their acorns. It was so much fun to hear their giggles of delight. I think most of it was because the mamas were running and playing with them! They do activities like this all the time at their super fun and creative preschool two mornings a week, which I'm so thankful for, but there is just nothing like having fun with your mama is there (at least when you are four:)? Especially in the fresh (okay, maybe not so fresh in SLC right now), outdoor air. It's one of the reasons I look forward to our homeschooling journey-coming soon in Fall 2012!

Here they are coloring:


Click here for a little look back to the first time we ever went to the gardens!

Before we get off the topic, here are some pictures from when Tara, John Mike, and Echo visited in August and we went...



I just fell in love with Amelia all over again when I saw her sitting there under that tree, with her Auntie Tara's hat on and her red umbrella stuck in the branches behind her. She wasn't feeling well, but it was still Just so her- so beautiful and quirky.

I'm looking back through the blog a lot, getting ready to try and make another blog book for 2008-2009 and I keep finding all of this adorableness that I can't help but share. Click here for a video of our days when they were two. Were their little voices ever really that tiny? AHHHH! SO cute!

Ok, better stop the memory train here and go get some laundry folded:) Jen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a way you can show your blog turned photo book for viewing online? Or at least tell us how you did it? Im curious how you do this, I want to try doing it once I see how you did yours.

Jenny said...

Just google "blog to book" or something snd you'll get lots of info I'm sure. With the last one I had someone else format it for me, but since she is booked right now I'm going to try it on my own through Blurb. It's a great thing to have!!Jen

ann.e said...

that was so much fun!! just EXACTLY the kind of thing they like right now :)

I just spent the last half hour looking back on our blog too - it is so fun to see how much they've changed!! I totally remember how Vera and Sam splashed in the snake fountain that first time :)